cooker switch with socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to change a cooker switch that has an integrated socket into just a cooker switch using a single size switch plate. The socket part is supplied from an adjacent socket. The cooker has a separate cable. Is it OK to remove the cable from each of the sockets, change the back box to single and rewire the cooker into the single gang switch? The house was rewired approximately six months ago. Am I right in thinking this wouldn't be covered by Part P as it is using existing cables and just changing socket covers. If I have over simplified this task I am happy to leave alone.
Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Firstly why do you want to do this & secondly I have never seen a combined cooker sw/ socket wired separately.Are you sure the second socket is not being fed by the cooker switch? If this is the case it is not how it should be & you will not be able to do what you would like to. My apologies if I have mis-understood.

Thanks for your response. I would like to do this because the socket is located next to the cooker and immediately above the hob (eye level cooker and separate hob) - it looks odd and the socket will not be used. I will double check the wiring inside.

Think jj's right there. Sounds like the second socket is wrongly spurred from the cooker! You should really take this out. An integrated socket from a cooker switch is supplied from the cooker circuit.

Sponsored Links
jj4091 said:
Firstly why do you want to do this & secondly I have never seen a combined cooker sw/ socket wired separately.

Nettle used to make one in the 60's/70's.

It was a large rectangular plate with a cooker switch, immersion switch & double socket on, all fed from separate circuits.

Cue RF for a piccy soon. If he doesn't have one, I'll be surprised! ;)

garyslater said:
Thanks for your response. I would like to do this because the socket is located next to the cooker and immediately above the hob (eye level cooker and separate hob) - it looks odd and the socket will not be used. I will double check the wiring inside.
If the cooker switch & socket are direcly behind the hob then either they or the hob has not been installed properly & this should be rectified, if you mean the second socket is at the back of the hob then this should not be installed there either. If it is just the socket & it has been spurred off the cooker switch then I would say the easiest way to rectify it would be to isolate the power & disconnect at the cooker switch & remove the socket, covering the hole with a blanking plate. If it is the cooker swich call a spark.

Thanks for the advice - the hob was there first but will be changed shortly - what are the regulations about switches and hobs and how is the hob defined for any dimensions that apply - ie the entire hob including controls or just the gas rings excluding controls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back