COOKER SWITHCH DISTANCE FROM HOB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI THERE IS THERE A REGULATION THAT THE COOKER SWITCH
SHOULD HAVE A CLEARANCE OF 50mm FROM THE COOKER HOB
EG THE HOB BEING THE SAME WIDTH AS THE SPLASH BACK (WHICH IS MOUNTED TO THE WALL ) SHOULD THERE BE A DISTANCE OF 50mm
BETWEEN THE SPLASHBACK AND THE COOKER SWITCH ?
IF SO WHICH GUIDE DOES IT STATE THIS IN I HAVE THE 16th EDITION REGS BUT I CANT FIND IT MANY THANKS TIM LEE :D

Sponsored Links
i dont recall an exact regulation reffering to this in the regs, im pretty sure there isnt one for this exact circumstance.

it will come under one of the regs requiring switches/isolators to be easily accsesible and suffiently in view so they are able to be operated quickly in an emergency.

what i do know is though that it shouldnt be mounted more than 2 metres away and it shouldnt be mounted directly behind the hob ( so you dont have to reach over the hob to operate it)

likewise it shouldnt be in such a position so that it can get splashed.

bit of a common sense thing i think.

MANY THANKS AND APPRECIATE THAT A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE CAN
BE A DANGEROUS THING .I HAVE A H.N.C. IN ELECTRICAL/ ELECTRONIC
ENGINEERING WHICH I DID OVER TWENTY YEARS AGO AND DID THE
16th EDITION( THE YELLOW ONE ) IN 1992 .I HAVE ALSO BEEN OUT OF THE ELECTRICAL TRADE FOR THE LAST TWENTY YEARS AND AM A LITTLE
RUSTY TO SAY THE LEAST.
MAYBE THAT WAS A BAD MOVE AS I AM ONLY EARNING £20,000 P.A NOW
THANK YOU .

No need to shout ;)

caplock.jpg

Sponsored Links
TIMLEE said:
HI THERE IS THERE A REGULATION THAT THE COOKER SWITCH
SHOULD HAVE A CLEARANCE OF 50mm FROM THE COOKER HOB
EG THE HOB BEING THE SAME WIDTH AS THE SPLASH BACK (WHICH IS MOUNTED TO THE WALL ) SHOULD THERE BE A DISTANCE OF 50mm
BETWEEN THE SPLASHBACK AND THE COOKER SWITCH ?
IF SO WHICH GUIDE DOES IT STATE THIS IN I HAVE THE 16th EDITION REGS BUT I CANT FIND IT MANY THANKS TIM LEE :D

Cooker switch must be more than 300mm from the edge of the cooker and not more than 2m frm the cooker.

5.2.2 (Page 57) of 'Electrician's Guide to Building Regulations'

hi, glad to be of help.

the ''remember a little knowledge'' comment wasnt aimed at you personally. its like a 'signature' comment that anyone can put on there posts.

it appears on all my posts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back