cooker wiring new kitchen project

Sponsored Links
Because the oven position is being moved to the other side of the room, I guess further away from the consumer unit. An entire new length of cable is the nicest option, but probably not the most practical. More practical than joining 2 bits of 6.0mm² in a ceiling rose though...

Sponsored Links
:LOL:
Do they do a bigger maintenance free push in terminals JB? I've not needed one yet. Or is it add your own crimps/soldered connections etc. in a suitable enclosure time?

Have you noticed these new maintenance free JBs burn like hell, yet the old brown screw terminal ones don't?

:LOL: Do they do a bigger maintenance free push in terminals JB?
Not that I'm aware of - the J803 is only meant to be suitable only for up to 4mm², and I'm not aware of any others. "Wagos in a Wagobox" might be a possibility, but there still seems to be a lack of certainty as to whether that is technically compliant as 'MF'.
Or is it add your own crimps/soldered connections etc. in a suitable enclosure time?
I fear that could well be the case!
Have you noticed these new maintenance free JBs burn like hell, yet the old brown screw terminal ones don't?
That doesn't surprise me - they appear to be made out of some sort of PVC or polycarbonate, not the thermosetting stuff that accessories are usually made of. How exactly did you get on to catch on fire, I wonder?!

Kind Regards, John

How exactly did you get on to catch on fire, I wonder?!
My shoddy wiring took care of that task!

Na I looked at one and thought it was the same plastic that consumer units are made from so I lit one with a lighter and the fire took hold. The plastic is so thin. The old round box just sort of sizzled a bit and was left with a scorch mark, no real harm at all.

I can still hear those 773 series connectors arcing in my head. I've removed a number of these now as they have caused intermittent connections. There is no way on earth I would trust them with 6.0mm², especially somewhere inaccessible!

i wish to pick your brains on electrics and wire sizing.
Fine - but the way to make that work is for asking for help in learning to become properly competent yourself, to seek clarification of things you are reading about, etc, not by trying to do design work on the basis of just asking whatever random questions happen to occur to you. You've already shown that you have some dodgy misconceptions - what if you get something wrong because you have no idea your knowledge is wrong? What if you miss something because you simply have no idea it even exists, and just don't realise you don't know it?

when installing a kitchen i wish to move the cooker point to the opposit wall and will lengthen the cable by fitting it into a rose to joint it
You should never, ever, EVER, for the shortest time imaginable, have considered using a 6A lighting accessory to join cables in a cooker circuit. That you did consider that it might have been a viable option does not indicate that you know anywhere near enough to be doing electrical work. Quite the opposite, in fact. Please get an electrician.

(is there a better way)the cable is less than 10 mtrs and is 6mm cooker cable, however when i move the point to the opposit wall i wish for it to run 2 built in ovens. this i will do by wiring them both to one cooker isolation switch with 6mm in two direct spurs from the switch
Will all the cables be in safe zones after this move?

ive just checked the cooker fuse for the rating and it says b32 and mt132 it is a rdc type fuse
would the rating of the fuse be an issue and will 6mm cable pull the ampage of two ovens safely
No matter that you were wrong about the loads, you thought they totalled 5.6kW. But you don't know if that would be OK on a 32A breaker? That is so basic...

No shame in not knowing it, but to think that you ought to be doing electrical work when you are that ignorant? Please get an electrician.

I would agree with BAS on this one, this is a clear case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing - get in a qualified electrician to inspect and advise as a minimum as to what you're proposing to do.

Ovens vary greatly in terms of consumption - my last oven was fine to be wired up with a 13A plug and plugged in to the ring, it's predecessor required a proper cooker feed. The instruction/installation manuals should tell you what you need to know in terms of connections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back