coping for garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just about finished building a garden wall re-using original bricks (last owners left it collapsed). Could I just finish it with a layer of mortar (pointed to look reasonably neat)?

I know I should finish the top course ideally with coping of some sort but I've run out of bricks (many were blown/broken beyond use) so not enough to do a course of half bricks on edge or some-such. Also I don't have a car and prefer to use re-cycled stuff where possible so buying 4/5 metres worth of coping stones isn't favourite.

I have soft sand and cement to spare - is a slightly stronger mix of mortar (say 1:3) going to give me a decent bit of weatherproofing. Got to be better than leaving stretchers exposed surely. Got lots of pebbles aswell so could bed those in the stronger mix?

Grateful for any views, thanks.

Sponsored Links
no idea regarding the mix, but the pebbles if pressed in afterwards would make it decorative

have you got any old slates to hand, particularly if they are a little wider than the wall?

these slates bedded on to the wall will at least afford you a 'drip' and help to preserve the wall. ;)

would slate not be a "bad thing" if they have sharp edges, and being slate they are thin, which means if some one shoud fall the wrong way............

Sponsored Links
Like the idea of slates but sadly none to hand.

Thinking of lifting some paving slabs but I think these would be a devil to split/break in two or three to get the right dimensions for coping.

What about the mix for a mortar finish though? - any advice welcome.

Thanks

for avoidance of doubt, when I say "lifting some paving slabs" I mean taking up some in my garden not pinching some from the street outside...!

note for next time
icon_edit.gif
guess waht it does

What about the mix for a mortar finish though? - any advice welcome.

Thanks

as strongish mix of 3 or 4:1 will do. sharp sand will weather better.

with regards the 'slates', i actually meant plain roofing tiles as they span a 9" wall and allow an inch or so drip to each side. bedded lengthways they are ideal for a 4" wall too.

use a nice strong sharp sand mortar mix. lay the pug along the top of the wall and as it dries off round it off. Its how the victorians used to do it. can look quite nice.

Noted; thanks a lot for all the advice.

I had an inkling sharp sand was better than using up the soft sand I've got left. Oh well.

cheers

buy some red or blue brick to finish it off as these will look smart

I feel a Gregory House MD style response coming but I'll be good.

I'm afraid that last suggestion ignores the original scenario and question I posed but thanks to posts overall I now have a good idea of how to proceed. Thanks to all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back