Copper Elbow joint black

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently had to move the radiator pipe to fit large heaters in the hallway. I have used yorkshire fitting without any additional solder. The joint can be running for 3 days without any leaks, however, looking at it, the colour of the joint does not look right... Should it not be a bring colour?

I'm concerned that in the future the joint will leave, as we are having wooden flooring laid.

What would cause the elbow joint to go black?

Thanks

IMG_5172.JPG
IMG_5174.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5172.JPG
    IMG_5172.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5174.JPG
    IMG_5174.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 60
Sponsored Links
Looks like you haven't cleaned the flux off it thats all. Wash it and give it a wire wooling, should be ok.

Looks like you haven't cleaned the flux off it thats all. Wash it and give it a wire wooling, should be ok.

Thanks

I cleaned the flux off well, but when it was cleaned off the elbow was black.

I was thinking of de-soldering and then placing a new yorkshire joint, while adding a small amount of extra solder. What do you think?

Thanks

While i can't guarantee it won't ever leak, i wouldn't bother. Flux is better cleaned while the pipe/fitting is still hot. I would just rub it with wire wool, that should do it. Fittings generally do discolour when heated.

Sponsored Links
Nope, if the joint's dry and running at pressure then it should be fine. Chances are that you maybe ran it a little too hot or it could even be a bad can of gas or your blowtorch that's not burning as clean as it should. As @gigz mentions, give it a rub round with wirewool/scotch pad and if the solder's clean all round then don't worry about it.

I'd be more concerned about that pipe not being sleeved through the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back