Copper Mains Damaged By Ground Movement??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the midst of a dispute with my insurers regard damage to the main copper water feed. The problem first came to light when we could hear water running in the bathroom.

We employed a plumber who removed the shower tray etc but could not indentify the source of the "leak". He then made a couple of excavations in our lounge (the water piper is laid under the floor) and finally came to the opinion that the actual damage to the copper pipe, which was in a four inch clay pipe, was beneath the foundations laid with the original building in the 1960's when it was a tied cottage. Since then an exension has been added onto the building and the original kitchen, where the pipe was traced, changed to being the lounge.

Anglian Water tested the water supply and it was approx 3.4 bar at the stopcock reducing to 1.5 at the rear of the building and zero if a tap was turned on. The said that the leak seemed very significant with a large loss of water and I was adviseed to only turn on the water when needed.

The water pipe was laid in the floor and went through the wall into the bathroom and then into the present kitchen.

I submitted a claim to my insurers and they arranged for a "surveyor" from Catalyst Services UK who came out and looked at the hole and nothing more i.e no structural survey, but he seeme to indicate that we would have a claim.

They have now said, amongst other things, that the the Catalyst Services UK "surveyor" in his report stated the damage to the copper pipe was due to ground movement. I live in Essex and the property is built on clay.

I hope someone can give me information on how likely it would be for ground movement to have caused damage to the pipe, given we are on clay and the copper piper was in a four inch clay drainage pie.

Attachments

• IMG20230615141642.jpg
    IMG20230615141642.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG20230615162324(1).jpg
    IMG20230615162324(1).jpg
    561.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG20230615164341.jpg
    IMG20230615164341.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 76
Sponsored Links
I am not a plumber... but why wouldn't you be covered for "ground movement"?

I'm not clear what the actual damage was.

But generally, ground movement would not damage pipework. What is common, is fixed pipework in a floor or wall being damaged in the floor or wall if the building moves or settles and the pipe if not flexible enough to cope.

Further, "ground movement" is not normally a cause, rather a symptom or a catalyst.

Thanks for replies. First answer is that insurers state not accidental damage and no water damage to property. This is ignoring any potential "damage" caused by a quite severe leak over a fair amount of time.

Actual damage to the pipe can't been seen as it is too deep in the ground to be accessed and is underneath the existing flooring/footings and the corner of fairly recent extension which is attached to the original building.

There have been no signs of excessive ground movement.

Can you clarify "ground movement" being a symptom rather than a cause.

My plumber can't believe that ground movement has been quoted as the cause of the damage to the pipe.

My feelings are to wonder whether the pipe was in some way damaged when the last etension was built and it has taken years (10-15) to get to a serious issue.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back