Copper or Plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of re fitting our en suite and I'm moving from a single concealed Mira thermostatic mixer to a more elaborate multi valve assembly and adding a larger fixed shower head and body jets.

To please the boss, I'm keeping the valve plate on the current wall, however moving all the outlets (4 jets and head) to the side wall of the enclosure, for a less cluttered looking tiled finish.

My plans are to run the feeds from the valves, back up the wall (solid wall), up into loft, split there to the various feeds required and then drop each outlet down on it's own pipe inside the partitioned side wall to the outlets. (Hope this makes sense thus far). I figure any joins / splits are at least accesbile then should any thing go amiss down the line and if lagged in the loft shouldn't be a problem I hope.

My question is, are there any benefits in using copper over plastic for such an application? If I go copper, I'll use solder fittings throughout, however the plastic materials appear to be a cheaper and easier to work with option - possbily for a reason? The core aim when the jets and head are fitted, I truly want the most reliable and sound connection possible, if I need to invest more time and a little more cost at install to achieve that, then no worries.

Sponsored Links
i would use copper is done correct no worrys then

it's your idea of going back up into loft and then down again that worrys me. as you are creating an air trap

when you swich valve off your water will drain from jets then turn valve back on air will be trapped in loop at top and won't be pushed down to escaped out of the jet.

common practice is to run the pipe round the wall from the valve straight to the jets.

Do not use the pushfit fitting - potential big problems. Plastic pipe is OK, but use Conex compression joints using metal plastic pipe inserts - Hep2O, not Speedfit

The best job is copper soldered fittings. Plastic is good for threading.

Sponsored Links
Ok - so copper it is... and great point on the potentials for hassles with a rise and drop from loft.
Round the wall it is.

And from the single outlet of the valve to feed the 4 body jets, is it typical to simply tee off a main feed at each jet and terminate the main pipe at the final jet ?

So glad I asked - thanks guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back