copper pipe chasing in block work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My plumber has chased some 22mm copper pipe into blockwork on the inside face of an external wall connecting to the gas meter. A friend has suggested that this is not to standard as someone could easily drill into it and as such regs say this has to be in steel pipework.

Any correct information gratefully received...

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Far as I know the pipework doesn`t have to be in steel but must be protected throughout length by plate to protect it, but I`m not a gas fitter, and that only applies to internal pipework but as I say, I`m not a fitter.I think they may have to be protected against corrosion also, eg, Denso tape.

Far as I know the pipework doesn`t have to be in steel but must be protected throughout length by plate to protect it, but I`m not a gas fitter, and that only applies to internal pipework but as I say, I`m not a fitter.

thanks for that, I should have been more clear, the pipe work is inside a small cloakroom inside the house with one external wall. The meter is on the outside of this wall. The plumber has not protected the pipe with anything yet, and I have has to call him back twice to fix a leak! and he is corgi registered....

I understood the post, if it`s buried in the wall it needs protecting against corrosion and protection against someone whacking a nail through wall into it, that`s why steel plate normally 1mm thick, why didn`t he surface mount & clip gas pipe internally?
If he`s had leaks on the gas pipe he has installed afterwards then he cannot be carrying out a tightness or `drop` test before leaving, are you sure he is Corgi/Gas safe?

Sponsored Links
I understood the post, if it`s buried in the wall it needs protecting against corrosion and protection against someone whacking a nail through wall into it, that`s why steel plate normally 1mm thick, why didn`t he surface mount & clip gas pipe internally?

The pipe would have to run through an internal dividing wall, hence he chaced it into the block work so the internal wall could fit flush perpendicular up to the face of the wall.

Remember CORGI are no longer operating as the body in charge of gas installers, it is now the Gas Safe Register, which is a different company. Have you seen his Gas Safe ID card? A CORGI one is no longer valid.

Copper pipework is permitted in chases in walls, it does not have to be steel. However, where it is located in a chase, the depth of the chase may not exceed one third of the depth of the wall, and it must be adequately protected against corrosion. Wherever possible it should be placed in a duct with a convenient access point. I don't think there's actually any requirement to protect against damage due to nailing/drilling, however it would be good practise to do this. The pipe should be adequately clipped using suitable clips.

Remember CORGI are no longer operating as the body in charge of gas installers, it is now the Gas Safe Register, which is a different company. Have you seen his Gas Safe ID card? A CORGI one is no longer valid.

Copper pipework is permitted in chases in walls, it does not have to be steel. However, where it is located in a chase, the depth of the chase may not exceed one third of the depth of the wall, and it must be adequately protected against corrosion. Wherever possible it should be placed in a duct with a convenient access point. I don't think there's actually any requirement to protect against damage due to nailing/drilling, however it would be good practise to do this. The pipe should be adequately clipped using suitable clips.
I am aware of the gas safe register, but I have not asked him as he was appointed a couple of months ago. He is however, Corgi if that means anything anymore?
Thanks for the comments re the chasing........
on another point, I have had two emergency call outs to fix leaks on this plumbers work and hes only run about 2m of pipework in total...not too impressed with his work thus far and may change plumbers before he starts carcassing propper......Is it usual to get a 8mb drop on a new connection and have to revisit twice to finally fix leak??

I don't think there's actually any requirement to protect against damage due to nailing/drilling,

There is Muggles,if it`s buried in an internal wall, if it`s run in a plasterboard wall it`s also recommended that the pipe should be only run vertically.

cabby
Is it usual to get a 8mb drop on a new connection and have to revisit twice to finally fix leak??

You are allowed a drop on the carcass, with existing gas appliances connected, he should have checked the installation beforehand to ensure the existing carcass was gas tight, if he hasn`t he won`t know wether the leak was there before he started. The drop allowed depends on the gas meter, it`s certainly not 8mbar.

For existing installations with apliances connected a maximum pressure drop is allowed over a 2 minute test period, provided there is no smell of gas.
E6 meter = 8mbar ( my mistake)

u6/g4 meter = 4mbar.

No drop allowed if there is a smell of gas.

I think you need to ask for his gassafe number and check him out online.

To be fair I couldn`t imagine any gas safe registered fitter leaving a house regardless of meter with an 8mbar drop without being a tad concerned.[/quote]

He turned the gas off and came back the day after, got the drop down to 4mb and said that was OK. HAd small of gas two days later and called emergency out and plumber back. He found a leaky solder joint (his) and fixed to reduce to 0mb, after trying to blame my old pipework....

Still concerned as this is just the beginning of his work. He has to run this pipework into the loft space, hence im reluctant to let him cary on if this is representative of his work.....

I don't think there's actually any requirement to protect against damage due to nailing/drilling,

There is Muggles,if it`s buried in an internal wall, if it`s run in a plasterboard wall it`s also recommended that the pipe should be only run vertically.

So if it's in copper it's ok provided it's protected by a steel plate?
Is that both sides or just the one it's been chased into?
The recommended is vertical, therefore is horizontal a 'bit naughty but legal' or not to code?

Also Cabby a picture may help us see what you mean exactly :LOL:

There can only be one reason why you would even consider using his services further, he must be cheap, but dangerous, definitely incompetent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back