copper pipe chasing in block work

The OP two tips
1 Employ a different engineer, this cowboy doesn't know what he's doing if he's leaving leaks.
2 Don't listen to charlie pants, he isn't an RGI and is making up rules as he goes along.

Sponsored Links
There can only be one reason why you would even consider using his services further, he must be cheap, but dangerous, definitely incompetent.

Not that cheap, and he has turned up to fix the problem when he,s said...

I think he fitting the work in around other work as hes busy. Rushed the work and then taken a couple of goes to do it properly, as he should have done to start with.....

photo soon, but got to gave dinner.....

So if it's in copper it's ok provided it's protected by a steel plate?

Or sleeved in steel barrel.

Is that both sides or just the one it's been chased into?

Internal surface should be plated, can`t imagine someone hanging a picture on the outside of wall.

The recommended is vertical, therefore is horizontal a 'bit naughty but legal' or not to code?

Common sense should probably be applied, if it`s run veritcally then you have a chance of puncturing it from bottom to top, run horizontally, work it out for yourself, think of all them crimbo cards you nail up, well my wife nails `em up :eek: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
but your not an gas safe registered "fitter" so you wouldn't know whats acceptable or why.

Sorry Mickyg, have I upset you in some way? Just trying to help, is all. I know that if he was fitting my gas I would be concerned.If any of advice is wrong or dangerous please I will apologise immediately, as for making rules up can you point out which one`s? I don`t believe I made them up. :cry:

but your not an gas safe registered "fitter" so you wouldn't know whats acceptable or why.

Sorry Mickyg, have I upset you in some way? Just trying to help, is all. I know that if he was fitting my gas I would be concerned.If any of advice is wrong or dangerous please I will apologise immediately.

you haven't upset me but some of your advice is incorrect and misleading. If you don't know keep it shut rather than making it up.

My only advice to the op is to get someone else in. Leaving leaks and walking away is dangerous and extremely worrying and shows a lack of respect for basic testing procedures when working on gas pipe. As for the pipe run without seeing it I will not comment. I'm sure a good competent RGI will find the best and safest routing.

I think he fitting the work in around other work as hes busy. Rushed the work and then taken a couple of goes to do it properly, as he should have done to start with.....

That`s alright then, I`m sure if your home had exploded and wiped out your entire family, in court the Judge would have said: ``Never mind, you were busy!.... sh*it happens! off ya go ya little tinker, make sure you do the next one right, otherwise we`ll all be here again won`t we? ( pinching gas fitter`s cheeks and rubbing his hair).

you haven't upset me but some of your advice is incorrect and misleading. If you don't know keep it shut rather than making it up.

Prove it, or apologise.

I don't think there's actually any requirement to protect against damage due to nailing/drilling,

There is Muggles,if it`s buried in an internal wall, if it`s run in a plasterboard wall it`s also recommended that the pipe should be only run vertically.

It's a recommendation that the pipe only be run vertically regardless of the construction materials used in the wall

I'd also be interested to see if this gas pipe is correctly earth bonded. I would strongly suspect that it is not.

It's a recommendation that the pipe only be run vertically regardless of the construction materials used in the wall

Vertical recommendation is for new builds. When a pipe is buried in a wall in an existing building the chase should be of sufficient depth to provide a minimum cover between the top of the pipe and the finished wall surface. The maximum chase depth should be one sixth of the wall thickness for horizontal runs and one third for vertical runs.

dont know whether these help or not....

To be fair as long as the pipework is sleeved through wall that looks o.k apart from the fact that it reduces to 15mm pipework almost immediately. :eek:Is this the main run to all gas appliances or does it branch off other side first in 22mm? Or is that 22mm? need me glasses. :LOL:

dont know whether these help or not....

To be fair as long as the pipework is sleeved through wall that looks o.k apart from the fact that it reduces to 15mm pipework almost immediately. :eek:Is this the main run to all gas appliances or does it branch off other side first in 22mm? Or is that 22mm? need me glasses. :LOL:

its 22mm and the down pipe feeds a gas cooker only.... the vertical cap will feed the boiler in the loft.....

why is it in the wall anyway? did you ask for it to be like that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back