Copper Pipe in Screed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
God knows I've looked and looked, but cannot really decide on what to do here. I have laid heating pipes into my new extension. I took care to make sure that there were no joins in the part that will be buried in screed. All pipes were clipped nicely and have been lagged using normal foam insulation. As you can see from the pic, my Wife was a little over the top with cable ties, but I wanted to make sure it was all closed up. Of course the 'tails' have been trimmed off now.

It is all connected, to check that the pipes are leak-free, they have been for a couple of weeks now as I wanted to be sure. Now we are getting closer to having the floor screeded, I am beginning to panic. When I decided to do it like this, I had been speaking to a good friend of mine who is an Electrician and tells me that 'on site' with a lot of new builds, from what he has seen, to do it as well as I have done would be abnormal.

Do I need to be concerned about whether this lagging is adequate? Is there anything else I can do that doesn't involve ripping it out and starting again? The screed will be 75-80mm deep, so there is scope for something else over the top of the pipes if that is an acceptable solution?

P1030997-M.jpg

Sponsored Links
Under the water regs pipes shouldn't be buried in screed. Copper pipes should be contained in a purpose designed chase with a removable lid, continuous plastic pipes can be laid in a purpose designed flexible conduit.

If it's copper then the lime in the mortar can leach through the insulation and corrode the pipe. If it's plastic you'll probably get away with it even though it's not to the regs.

The pipe is supposed to be accessible to allow for replacement.

Having said that most builders and quite a lot of plumbers are completely ignorant of the water regs and do it the way you have.

A weak mix of sand/cement screed is considered removable so its acceptable under the water regs. :rolleyes:
Diagram G7.1c (3.18) shows it clearly. :rolleyes:

Except in the op's case his is closer to the surface and easier removed should the need arise. :LOL:

In any case if someone lays tiles on top @£10 each the screed will be the least of your worries.
In that case go plastic in sleeve and no need for silly expensive ducts.

Sponsored Links

Not nit-picking your work but.. has that wastepipe got a run ?,

If you mean a fall, yes it has. It is only just over a metre long.

Thanks for your replies everyone. My main worry isn't future access, but I am worried about the screed corroding the pipe, so perhaps I am going to have to put some sort of capping over the pipe before the screed goes down. Would that be enough?

Under the water regs pipes shouldn't be buried in screed. Copper pipes should be contained in a purpose designed chase with a removable lid, continuous plastic pipes can be laid in a purpose designed flexible conduit.

If it's copper then the lime in the mortar can leach through the insulation and corrode the pipe. If it's plastic you'll probably get away with it even though it's not to the regs.

The pipe is supposed to be accessible to allow for replacement.

Having said that most builders and quite a lot of plumbers are completely ignorant of the water regs and do it the way you have.

The OP said they were heating pipes, these do not come under water regulations, if they were all UFH systems would be illegal wouldn't they

Try reading the replies!

That insulation is not going tto protect the pipes.

Excuse me? I have read the replies, hence me suggesting that I will need to take some other measure to protect the pipes.

I think I will try to get hold of some sort of thick PVC U-Channel that I can put over the pipes, this will prevent the screed from reaching them.

When all is said and done, it's not nice having to get to pipes again whether they are under screed or under timber floor, stuff will get ruined in any case.

Thanks again to those that have come up with useful replies. :D

Think you'll find the lagging is the waterproof kind, run a bit under the tap, to see whether it runs off or soaks in.

Wrap the pipes and lagging in plastic sheet otherwise, and it will be fine.

Think you'll find the lagging is the waterproof kind, run a bit under the tap, to see whether it runs off or soaks in.

Wrap the pipes and lagging in plastic sheet otherwise, and it will be fine.

Thank you, I will try that. I had wondered it plastic over the top, like DPM or similar would do it. :D

if you are worried that the concrete will go through just wrap the insulation in a tape like closure plate or duck tape to provide a water proof barrier and clip off all those cable tie ends!!

if you are worried that the concrete will go through just wrap the insulation in a tape like closure plate or duck tape to provide a water proof barrier and clip off all those cable tie ends!!

He has done!

Why not remove the lagging and wrap in denso (wearing disposable gloves :) )

The cable tie ends have already gone! I left them on as it made it look a bit more comical for the photo.

Thanks. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back