Copper pipe, paint or leave bare ?

JM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Simple question really. Is there any useful purpose in painting copper heating pipes?

- Inside an airing cupboard (so not seen normally) - only store for towels !
- HW tank replaced a while back and never did paint the re-worked pipes (original ones painted with build, now an off-white shade of wh gloss).

Does painting help reduce corrosion etc
- Obviously hides the untidy solder work, but not bothered about that.

Sponsored Links
Im a plumber I hate painted pipes if it aint bothering you just leave them, it doesnt help with anything other than cosmetics

Noo don't paint them, copper should be left copper coloured, polish them if you really want to do something to them...

Noo don't paint them, copper should be left copper coloured, polish them if you really want to do something to them...

er..ok..

on a different note, ive noticed alot of newish builds have all the pipes in the airing cupboard painted silver, looks much better.

Sponsored Links
Yeh they painted mine silver.

Looks pretty. Guess it stops condensation forming on the pipes turning it green.

Looks pretty. Guess it stops condensation forming on the pipes turning it green.

Painting wouldn't stop condensation forming, it would still be colder inside the pipe than it is outside (only cold mains pipes obviously) even with paint on. It's excess flux that makes the pipes go green.

Christ I thought the Russians were bad making them dance, now we are painting them Silver!!

A simple clean would stop them from going green.
There is no practical use for paint on copper pipes.

A simple clean would stop them from going green.
There is no practical use for paint on copper pipes.

A simple clean`ll stop `em going green.
forget the hype - don`t paint yo` pipe :mrgreen: While I fix yo` tap I sing a rap. - I aint no gasman - I`m an old skool plumber. I aint got no work , aint that a bummer -

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back