paint on copper piping?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may sound a daft question but can paint (possibly gloss by the looks of it) be removed from copper piping. Im thinking about extending the pipe work in my hall. Some of the pipe work is concealed and the rest has been painted. Is it possible to remove this pant without damaging the pipe so i can extend the pipes or do i have to face the truth and renew all the painted pipe work? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sponsored Links
No, just scrape the paint off, as long as you don't use a hammer and chisel, you should be OK :D

if its just to couple on to the pipe, if you have them use some pump pliers and lightly turn them on the pipe this will churn off the paint, then try using some fine sand paper or/and a green pad that you use to clean the dishes with

As above, if the paint's been on long enough it will flake off....just don't give it the grip of death & distort it though.

Sponsored Links
use a blowlamp and when the paint blackens wirewool it simple really or if you have the patience use a hot air paint stripper.

It's all good and well saying blow lamp but how many non plumbers have a blow lamp tucked away in a draw. :LOL: unless their an pro arsonist. ;)

kevplumb said:
unless their an pro arsonist.

or a geordie or even worse a mackam or monkey hanger :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Watch it bonny lad or i'll come rooound your hoose and torch it :LOL:

I use a Stanley Knife but it doesn't half take a while to light :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

markie said:
It's all good and well saying blow lamp but how many non plumbers have a blow lamp tucked away in a draw. :LOL: unless their an pro arsonist. ;)

Quite a few - TV chefs sell them as kitchen accessories.
Okay, they're probably butane, but they should be hot enough to strip paint, or maybe even solder 15mm......just.

Or the old paraffin 'flame throwers' polished up and used as book ends. Don't think I'd fancy re-commissioning one of them though! :eek:

Probably easier if the pipe is dry.
Mind you dont toast the skirting board!

Haway lads its "Mackem" even if you dont like us at least spell it right :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back