Painted pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone explain why my copper pipes are painted a grey colour? I know it may sound a silly question but just seems a shame to cover over the copper pipes.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've noticed that some recent flat developments in Bristol have the copper pipework in the airing cupboard painted silver. I can't see the point of it either, but someone somewhere seems to have decided that it's a good idea.

I was told by a developer's site agent some 20odd years ago that they were required to paint all exposed pipes with alluminium paint. The reason given was that it helped to cut down on heat emmision. :rolleyes: That, and they look nice as well.

Come to think of it, if you paint rads with silver metallic paint the output is considerably reduced so there may be a grain of truth in wot I wos told.

Sponsored Links
are you sure they are not Hep2o plastic pipes, which are grey in colour?

Are you sure they are painted? Some primers are grey in colour. It may be that somebody primed the pipes but did not finish the paint job.

If you want to return the pipes to their natural colour a rub with wire wool should return them to their natural state.

The copper pipes will quickly oxidise and turn from a nice bright copper to a dull brown.

I've noticed that some recent flat developments in Bristol have the copper pipework in the airing cupboard painted silver. I can't see the point of it either, but someone somewhere seems to have decided that it's a good idea.

Probably to hide the shoddy soldering run's and wipes the installer left behind :LOL:

No the pipes are copper just paints a matt grey colour, un the airing cupboard and under the sink. Just seems a waste of time 2 do this, however I have no intention of rubbing them all down!!

I was told by a developer's site agent some 20odd years ago that they were required to paint all exposed pipes with alluminium paint. The reason given was that it helped to cut down on heat emmision. :rolleyes: That, and they look nice as well.

Come to think of it, if you paint rads with silver metallic paint the output is considerably reduced so there may be a grain of truth in wot I wos told.

I am sure that pipe insulation would have worked far better !! :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back