painting gas pipes

CIB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I had a new boiler fitted a couple of months ago. A new gas pipe was fitted around the outside of the house.

Can I paint this copper pipe? The colour clashes with my cladding!

If so, what would the best paint be? Whenever I've painted pipes indoors, they always seem to go green after a few days

Cheers for your thoughts

CIB

Sponsored Links
the rules say yellow ochre not sure if it applts to domestic pipework tho and to be honest cant be bothered to look it up but im sure somebody will
could always paint it and stick some id tape on at the joints :)

Not sure what colour your cladding is but the copper will darken down to a dull anonymous brown over time. Don't think the regs say anything about painting (other than if in need of corrosion protection).

thanks guys

Corrosion protection? Is there a problem with copper pipes outside?

The pipes have got tape wraps around with GAS on. I'll peel it off and reuse it.

Chris

Sponsored Links
cant have cooper pipes outside..what happens if they got wet in the rain ????

.....copper pipes outside not ok?

Surely outside copper pipes are everywhere. Water doesn't make copper corode, pipes are full of it.

Seriuosly, is there a problem here?

CIB

JPC was only jesting. As long as pipe protected from any obvious risk of damage, and it is clipped so its not touching the wall, concrete etc, and there's no other risk of corrosion, eg on the seafront perhaps or a domestic part of a chemical factory- then its ok.

You should use - wait for it, copper pipeclips/saddles, rather than say Talon plastic ones. Those aren't designed to stand UV exposure!

They do look a lot better anyway because the colour will always be the same as the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back