What paint to use over an external copper gas pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a new 10m external 22mm gas pipe run installed which is attached to the drive way wall. I want to avoid someone trying to steal the copper pipe, is there any particular paint people use to paint copper with to act as a deterrent?

Sponsored Links
It wont be bright & shiny for long but I suppose if you paint it black no one would know it was copper at a distance.

Paint won't be much of a deterrent... if theft is that much of an issue in your area then metal munsen ring clips every 300mm make it much harder to steal, or alternatively having it piped in a much less thief-attractive material such as steel

Sponsored Links
I was told that by paining it, the value of the copper becomes less or not worth stripping the paint off so thieves are less likely to go for it.

It does make a difference. Scrap yards wont pay top value for metal which is not clean and they have to strip the paint off.

Good idea, come on here and ask advice then ignore what you have been told and argue with people.

Andy

Your last comment doesn't make sense, since I agree with your original comment about paint and disagreeing with Terry. What gives?

anti climb paint, blue paint, red paint, doesn't matter. It's paint. You didn't suggest grease or denso tape which is what some people are suggesting when I google it.

if things are that bad in your area... it’ll go... my scrap merchants don’t deduct for painted copper... it all comes off in the smelter... only other metals on it, in the way of brass/steel/chrome designate it as mixed metal rather than copper and goes with a different price... it’s why I get my son to strip all fittings off my scrap copper on a Sunday morning ;)

Paint won't be much of a deterrent... if theft is that much of an issue in your area then metal munsen ring clips every 300mm make it much harder to steal, or alternatively having it piped in a much less thief-attractive material such as steel
Then they will steal the clips and leave the copper as thats around 35 clips at over a £ each :)

Last edited:
Perhaps you could disguise it as plastic waste or downpipe.

Slit a length and you may be able to open it enough to clip round the copper pipe. A few clamps will hold it closed. Maybe put a fake shoe on the bottom and a fake hopper on the top.

Or disguise it as plastic electrical conduit, and attach a lamp to the end, or an outdoor socket for the lawnmower. Or disguise it as plastic waterpipe, and attach a tap.

I don't know if there is a major copper theft problem in my area, I just figured that any 10m run of 22mm copper might be attractive to cheapskate thief and it was my plumber who suggested I paint it as a deterrent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back