Plastic pipe on a Gas Meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
looking at my meter I notice that on the consumer side it is grey plastic pipe through the wall which is then connected to what looks like a mustard coloured plastic pipe on the inside.

It then runs in to to copper pipe that runs under the floor. ( the mustard pipe had been painted with gloss paint at some time in the past so it may be the pigment from the paint had discoloured the grey pipe).

Can anyone tell me if it is normal practice today or in the past to use plastic pipe in a gas supply like this,

Sponsored Links
As far as I'm aware plastic must not and has never been approved for gas :eek:

you sure its not sleaving,because if it isnt youve got a problem.

looking at my meter I notice that on the consumer side it is grey plastic pipe through the wall which is then connected to what looks like a mustard coloured plastic pipe on the inside which then runs in to to copper pipe that runs under the floor. ( the mustard pipe had been painted with gloss paint at some time in the past so it may be the pigment from the paint had discoloured the grey pipe).

Can anyone tell me if it is normal practice today or in the past to use plastic pipe in a gas supply like this,

Check carefully in case it's a plastic coated copper pipe running through a grey plastic pipe (used as a sleeve through wall)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dave, that is my gut feel but it does look like the original installation put in by the builder as the meter is is in the gas cupboard on the outside wall of the house. I guess I will have to get it replaced

Waterworxsw I will try to get a couple of good photo's

Holty thanks for the input if only my pipe looked like the quality product in your picture

It could be plastic coated copper but I do not undestand why it has been carried a couple feet down the wall inside the house and it also appears to have at least 2 joins in it. :eek:

on any of the plastic coat dose it have any info e.g 15/22mm hep or somthing. and what are the joints.compression/solder,if you say pushfit turn the ecv off and call someone quick.

if it is indeed pushfit waterpipe, you are in deep whatsit. might be worth calling transo and tell them what you told us. they will give you an honest report as they have no interest in the job itself. alternatively, call a local registered gasfitter. either way, call today

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back