Gouge in gas pipe before meter. Ignore?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all just a quickie

I have been paying a lot more attention to things since starting DIY, and was checking the main gas pipe leading to the meter

About 3 feet up, above where the plastic ends i noticed these gouges, to be honest they may have been there 20 years! The gouge seems to go under the ring suggesting it was gouged at installation?

Should i get them checked? and who should i contact if so? my supplier is british gas. I have had new piping past the meter more than once, but the supplier has never touched the pipe below the meter in decades and contractors always say they only work past the meter.

Thanks.

Attachments

• pipe.jpg
    pipe.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 117
Sponsored Links
nothing to worry about , just some marks from stiltsons when they first fitted pipe .

Thanks so much!, i am doing my wifes head in noticing all these things, they feel about half a millimetre deep and i have no idea how thick the piping is

But they havent leaked in 20 years, and the plumber who does my yearly boiler service always looks at the pipes, i need to just relax, thanks again

No one other than the Gas Transporter can work on the Pipework up to and including the meter, and to be honest, it is very unlikely they'll touch it unless it starts leaking. Given that is steel, and above ground, the chances of that happening unless it is damaged by external forces is about nil.

Sponsored Links
No one other than the Gas Transporter can work on the Pipework up to and including the meter, and to be honest, it is very unlikely they'll touch it unless it starts leaking. Given that is steel, and above ground, the chances of that happening unless it is damaged by external forces is about nil.

I remember when i had plastering work done, i was eyeballing the plasterboards which the plasterer had leaned against my steel piping
When he say me eyeballing them he moved them but said 'i would need to take a hammer to them to damage them ' :)

Transco (as was) came out to mine as E-on refused to fit a Smart Meter with the supply as was. The Transco Guy rang his Boss whilst here and said 'this Pipework dates from Town Gas days and the Governor is probably older than I am'! He kindly removed the lead section, fitted a new ECV, Governor and anaconda to upgrade the setup. Still haven't had the Smart Meters fitted though!

wrong if you have met 1 you can work on the meter ie move its position within regs

the stillie Marks on pipes are nothing to worry about

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back