Copper pipe - testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Exploratory topic

Scenario
: both Mains water & CH (copper) pipework is behind the plasterboard (stud-work).

I cannot see nor access the piping other than where it exits the stud-work.

System:

Kitchen sink
Bathroom sink
3 radiators
Boiler

I have a suspicion that there could be a leak in either CH or Mains copper pipework.

What are the ways to test for leaks (comprehensively)?

Techniques / Methods

Sponsored Links
Pressure test .... put a gauge on the system, fill to standing pressure and shut off the mains, leave and monitor.

Is there a standardised test/protocol for this kind of test?

What equipment is needed?

what scale & how precise should the pressure gage (scale) be?

How long should it be left under pressure?

Should it be pressurised with water or with air?

Sponsored Links
if you're doing a DIY job then if you obtain a mains pressure gauge from one of the sheds, put it onto a washing machine valve or an outside tap and and then open it, the gauge will register the static pressure. Go back to the mains and shut it off. Leave it all for 30mins and then take a reading, if it is still the same then keep checking, if not movement then leave the gauge overnight without using any water and then check the gauge in the morning, if there's a pressure drop, you have a leak.

Any standard mains pressure tester is detailed enough to do the basic test. It doesn't take a large leak to drop the pressure quickly, you may find the pressure will drop as you watch it, leak size dependent.

if you're doing a DIY job then if you obtain a mains pressure gauge from one of the sheds, put it onto a washing machine valve or an outside tap and and then open it, the gauge will register the static pressure. Go back to the mains and shut it off. Leave it all for 30mins and then take a reading, if it is still the same then keep checking, if not movement then leave the gauge overnight without using any water and then check the gauge in the morning, if there's a pressure drop, you have a leak.

Any standard mains pressure tester is detailed enough to do the basic test. It doesn't take a large leak to drop the pressure quickly, you may find the pressure will drop as you watch it, leak size dependent.
Very well put Rab

If the leak is enough to spin the meter, you could shut all taps and monitor the meter for a length of time.

These suggestions make sense. Could anyone recommend the appropriate type of gauge to purchase?

Plus a place to get it from.

(All the pipework in question is 15mm).

I think the best option will be to attach it to the washing machine joint - isolate the supply & leave it for a few hours and monitor.

Which size would I need for the nut - to put it on the washing machine coupling to the copper pipe?

I.e the correct size so I can remove the washing machine hose and simply screw a guage on?

As this is an exploratory thread. If it was to be professionally tested (vs DIY).

How would it be done?
I would try the meter method first as a diyer.
If there's a leak and not just a weep every 24 hours, the meter would record it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back