Copper Pipe through concrete block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My oil Boiler is in the adjoined Garage at gable end of house. Its a 1 and half story detached house. The indirect /vented HWC is on upstairs floor in airing Cupboard. The garage is corrugated box section steel roof which I will be replacing in the spring. The pipes for the HWC run from the boiler directly up through the garage roof and then through the single Block wall ( its a timber framed house ) These pipes are covered in with sheet metal box after passing up through the Garage roof. The other side of the wall from the boiler is a downstairs bedroom with built in wardrobes right on the other wall side of boiler. I'm contemplating re-running the 2 x 22mm copper pipes for the HWC through the 4 inch block wall from the boiler into one built in wardrobe and then running up through the upstairs floor ( boxing this pipework in of course ) and re-joining them onto original pipework inside the house where the original pipes come in through the block wall.
This will save me a lot of hassle when putting a new roof on. I have a few questions I hope I can get advice on from you chaps

1) From what I understand, Copper and concrete don't mix and the copper should be sleeved. Are there purpose made sleeves out there for this job or what's the best way to do this. I would like to keep the entry's for the 22mm pipes as small and neat as possible

2) As the boiler is right the other side of the wall from the Bedroom, is there any fire prevention measures required ( Intumescent foam or sealant required )

3) The new routing of the pipes would introduce another 2 x 90 Degree bends in the pipework. Would this affect the flow badly ?

Any help / Advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Yes you can buy pipesleeve, sealing with fire proofing is a good idea and can’t see a couple of elbows affecting anything

Thanks for the quick reply's. Much appreciated.
Can somebody send a link leading me to pipe sleeving product

Sponsored Links
No real problems with copper and concrete,

Yes there bloody well is.

Concrete corrodes copper.

The copper should not be in contact with the concrete at all. Stand off clips and sleeving where needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back