Copper Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know what sort of date copper pipe was introduced into U.K homes. I ask this because a house that I was buying showed up on the survey as having lead piping! - Someone also told me that we could have this changed free of charge by the waterboard. Is this true? This person also said that they though copper pipe was introduced around 1960, but couldn't be sure as they wasn't a plumber. Any one know for sure? I would also be interested in time of invention/manufacturer, as I have started quite a discussion amongst my friends. I know we all need to get out more, but any help would be most appreciated.
Many thanks

Jenny

Sponsored Links
Only bother changing lead pipe for plastic if in softwater area. Good bargaining point in getting price down!
Romans could have had copper pipes but it was cheaper to bore out timber.

Water companies will only replace lead piping to the supply side of the stop tap that supplies your property. Some properties, typically terraced houses but not exclusively, are supplied via a "common service" pipe which is usually the shared responsibilty of the owners of the properties it supplies. Copper pipe was in use in industry in th late fifties if this helps.

Why only a softwater area ? I've got lead mains water pipe and thinking about replacing it but we live in a hardwater area ? Would the hardness of the water affect your choice ?

Sponsored Links
Softwater dissolves lead which is not healthy for you to consume. Hard water deposits calcium on any surface including inside of lead pipes. I would not bother unless your supply pipe froze up in cold weather. Reckon plumber would replace with blue plastic pipe suitable for drinking water. Expensive job as labour to dig down on length to road will not come cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back