Copper to lead help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:oops: would some please tell me how to sweat copper on to lead pipe as my cold feed into the house is lead and it has got a crack init i want to replace as much of the lead with copper but cant seam to get it to seal

Sponsored Links
how much do you weigh today? and how much tomorrow? with all that lead you will be ingesting your weight will keep going up.

all lead pipe should be removed

Breezer's right,best to replace all the lead pipe with blue plastic pipe and out to your mains stopcock,bigger job I know but it got to be done sometime.The problem with lead pipe,approx after 60-70 years old they tend to start having pin hole leaking and for ever repairing one after another.

To get you out of trouble use 'Lead loc' compression joints available from most plumbling merchants

NOT necessary to remove all lead pipe, unless you have soft water which leads to high solvency. In normal water areas the lead gets lined with scale and levels dissolved are a small fraction of even the most fussy country's levels.
Don't try to sweat a copper pipe on. Easy after you've done a few but you need the right stuff, and you will be exposing fresh lead. Lead -loc's come in different sizes depending onthe weight (thickness) of your lead. There are connectors which will take a range of sizes. Plumbcenter do a Talbot thingy which is big and more expensive but fits anything in a wide range of sizes

Sponsored Links
I would be interested to see you soldering lead pipe.... wouldnt the lead pipe just melt...

ChrisR said:
NOT necessary to remove all lead pipe, unless you have soft water which leads to high solvency. In normal water areas the lead gets lined with scale and levels dissolved are a small fraction of even the most fussy country's levels.
Don't try to sweat a copper pipe on. Easy after you've done a few but you need the right stuff, and you will be exposing fresh lead. Lead -loc's come in different sizes depending onthe weight (thickness) of your lead. There are connectors which will take a range of sizes. Plumbcenter do a Talbot thingy which is big and more expensive but fits anything in a wide range of sizes
:) :) :) :) Thanks with the help of you and plumbcenter no more leaks and will remove all lead in the new year

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back