Cordless Makita Drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it bad for the drill to put it on "drill" mode to drive screws? i.e. no clutch setting so that it keeps driving when the screws are very hard to get in/out?

Sometimes the drill seems to be struggling when I do this, and can almost stop rotating completely. I don't want to burn out the motor, but unless I do this I can't drive thing like frame fixings home.

Sponsored Links
i never use the cluch
if its stalling before its fully driven home it lacks power
go for low gear and reduce speed on the last 2 or 3mm
what size screws what gear are you in what battery size volts and ah and how old are the batteries ??

I only use the clutch for delicate stuff e.g. assembling flat pack furniture. There's no harm from not using it per se but if you are almost stalling the drill then doing it repeatedly is not going to be good for motor or battery.

I think we need answers to big-all's questions. Old batteries do drop in power but depending on the drill, you may be trying to get too much out of it.

Is it bad for the drill to put it on "drill" mode to drive screws? i.e. no clutch setting so that it keeps driving when the screws are very hard to get in/out?

Sometimes the drill seems to be struggling when I do this, and can almost stop rotating completely. I don't want to burn out the motor, but unless I do this I can't drive thing like frame fixings home.

This is were an impact driver comes in to its own!

If you've never used one or can't afford to buy one that's fair enough you'll need to use whatever you have but if you ever did get one you'll wonder how the hell you lived without one for so long

Sponsored Links
I've got two impact drivers but it doesn't mean you've got to ignore good practice. You should be drilling pilot holes.

I've got two impact drivers but it doesn't mean you've got to ignore good practice. You should be drilling pilot holes.

depends on screw type and size and wood type but in general yes pilot countersink at least on bigger screws

Thanks for the replies.

It's a fairly new battery, 3ah.

I do drill holes, and this was when I was screwing a 6 x 150 mm screw in.

I think I am going to get an impact driver, I just wasn't sure how bad it is to push the drill to it maximum.

i personally would aim for around 4" 100mm with an 18v
yes the odd 120mm will be fine but 150 is pushing it
pilot holes 'drilling till it stop then withdrawing and having another go will help as will waxing the screw

You'll be amazed at how much faster an impact driver is but make sure you use impact driver rated bits. You might be allright with PZ3 but it will eat cheapo PZ2's. A Wera BiTorsion bit holder is a good idea if you're willing to splash a bit more cash too.

Cheers, what are good quality PZ2 and PH2 bits as those are the ones I use the most and would use in the impact driver.

I like the 50mm Dewalt. Quite cheap, last quite well. Only idiots use impact drivers for brute force. They shouldn't be allowed to own one. They are about precision, speed, rhythm.

Cheers, what are good quality PZ2 and PH2 bits as those are the ones I use the most and would use in the impact driver.
do not use a ph1/2/3 on any wood screw with a star within a star
95% are pz2 ph are automotive and drywall type screws and do not work in wood screws

I favour Wera BiTorsion but I also have a Milwauke tic tac box of PZ2 that have lasted surprisingly well. I've seen several recommendations for the DeWalt ones too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back