Core drilling with clutch-less drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I borrowed a heavy duty SDS drill off a buddy to cut a 6” core. When I went to pick up the core bit the rental chap reminded me to check that the drill had a torque safety clutch else I might ‘break my arm’.

I asked my buddy and he isn’t sure. The manual for the drill says nothing of it.

Is there a way to proceed safely with this? Or would I be better off forking out for a rental?

Ta

Sponsored Links
:eek: - make sure you've got a clutch on the drill, crucial for core drilling. I lost count the number of times the clutch kicked in when i last drilled a 6" hole!

I'd say most SDS drills would have it, check the make and model online if you're not sure.

But I mean like if I cut slowly and carefully can I avoid any dangerous lockups? I’ve only got one hole to drill, don’t mind if it takes all day!

The same "rental chap" who would love to rent you a drill?

You don't need one.

Sponsored Links
So I borrowed a heavy duty SDS drill off a buddy to cut a 6” core. When I went to pick up the core bit the rental chap reminded me to check that the drill had a torque safety clutch else I might ‘break my arm’.

I asked my buddy and he isn’t sure. The manual for the drill says nothing of it.

Is there a way to proceed safely with this? Or would I be better off forking out for a rental?

Ta

Nice big core drills are best used one handed up the top of a ladder :eek:

(Ps pls dont try this at home).

But I mean like if I cut slowly and carefully can I avoid any dangerous lockups?

no. A core drill is big and powerful. It doesn't mind if you keep still and it spins the cutter, or if the cutter is wedged in the wall and it spins you.

It only needs a quarter turn to break your arm or spin you off the ladder.

it will happen before you have time to let go.

Don’t need what, a clutch? I’ve never tried it without a clutch, but as above, ain’t that a bit risky if you value your wrists?

Clutches are for girls.

Slow and steady, it's not a problem.

Check the drill is actually capable of drilling a 6" hole.

My 5KG Makita one says it's good for up to 90mm, and I lent it to a friend who cored 110mm and burnt out the armature and and brushes.

Woodys advice may be a little dangerous. I value my wrists so would make damned sure it had a clutch. Put the make and model up here, someone will look it up if you can't.

Only need a clutch on a ladder. You can spin round quite safely on the ground.
But don't use a wire brush on a drill with the switch lock on while wearing a baggy t-shirt - it's amazing how quickly it twists up to your neck and starts strangling you. Yes I speak from experience - drill wrapped up in t-shirt, fortunately managed to rip plug out of wall. Wife reluctantly put life insurance policy back in drawer!!

From a quick estimate, I've drilled probably 40 or so holes for fans (and other people :cool:) through cavity walls of various brick/block densities over the years. Firstly with my B&D Proline sds, then with my Dewalt and neither has a clutch and both are still working too.

The important thing is being able to hold the drill level and being in a comfortable position, so that you can feel the cutter and adjust or slow the drill if needed. And to let the cutter cut, and not force it or press on too hard, nor let it go too fast.

That's works for me. If you can't do that then yes, hire a girlies drill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back