Corefix Fixings (and alternatives)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are Corefix regarded as pretty decent for fixing items to plasterboard/batten walls?

My extension has the usual blockwork inside, to which I've affixed battens and plasterboard. All is now skimmed and boarded and I need to put two shelves up which will be holding two speakers, a small amplifier and a few books. Not a huge amount of weight, but enough to be concerned with decent fixings.

Obviously I've got to drill through the board and into the blocks, which is where the fixing will secure itself, but as weight pushes down I'm concerned about the brackets for the shelves pushing down and into the plasterboard.

I've seen a few reviews of the Corefix fixings, but they seem to be published by people interested in selling them in some way. Just after a neutral opinion and of course any alternatives.

Sponsored Links
Search Gosforth Handyman on Youtube, he has several hands on practical reviews of corefix, and alternatives, which seem genuine.

Blup

Search Gosforth Handyman on Youtube, he has several hands on practical reviews of corefix, and alternatives, which seem genuine.

Blup

I do actually watch his videos from time to time, seeing his house progress -- I'll try to find his review of them. The videos I saw were good but were by people who are sponsored.

I used these Corefix to hang twin slot shelving racks on my garage walls. The internal walls are plaster board screwed to batons which in turn are screwed to thermalite blocks.

That is exactly my set-up... great to hear they fair well in practical use. I'd thought about everything and put extra battens onto the wall, or fixed extra CLS within the stud walls but the shelf was a late addition. Be good for future use to have a box of them in.

Sponsored Links
I must admit that I did intentionally drill slightly off angle (horizontally) in the hope that if one fixing failed the next one up (which is offset in the other direction) would compensate. No idea if it really makes any difference though.

I also used overly long twin slot sections because I had no idea how well the corefix would work. Off the top of my head, the shelves (x3) are about 1.8m long and supported by 4 lengths of twin slot. I would guess the total weight of shelves and stuff on them is about 35kg.

I must admit that I did intentionally drill slightly off angle (horizontally) in the hope that if one fixing failed the next one up (which is offset in the other direction) would compensate. No idea if it really makes any difference though.

I also used overly long twin slot sections because I had no idea how well the corefix would work. Off the top of my head, the shelves (x3) are about 1.8m long and supported by 4 lengths of twin slot. I would guess the total weight of shelves and stuff on them is about 35kg.

I suppose twin slot would work better on a wall like that, as the force of the downward weight is being distributed over a slightly larger area. I'll be using iron brackets (the same type people use on scaffold boards). From what I can work out the sleeve takes the weight and transfers it to the wall rather than the surface of the board.

I suppose twin slot would work better on a wall like that, as the force of the downward weight is being distributed over a slightly larger area. I'll be using iron brackets (the same type people use on scaffold boards). From what I can work out the sleeve takes the weight and transfers it to the wall rather than the surface of the board.

Yeah, the metal insert seems to distribute the load.

Just be aware that the collar is quite big. You may need to use a counter sink if the fixings will be flush with the wall.

I used some thick nylon "washers/spacers" in the gap under the twin wall shelving to make sure that the fitting would not be pulled out as I tightened the screws. Not a problem for you if you have brackets that are flat to the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back