CORGI bashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm new here and have just been reading some of the comments below it really doesn't paint a good picture of CORGI reg installers mainly because of the stupid comments they made in the post themselves. I am a reg installer and think the main problem in my area is people like myself who can fix combi boilers and people who can't who turn up when the boiler has locked out and say "you need a new boiler" then they fit one badly and F**k off!!!

I think there needs to be some group attached to corgi for installers who are able to fix combi's etc.

I think a lot off the over inflated prices are bad but people like this exist in every trade but you shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush...

Sponsored Links
Gasmanuk, get your tin hat on and sit behind something solid like a huge bolder. There are those on these pages that have double standards. They are the ones who have an axe to grind.

I say give the customer a price up front. If he/ she does not like the price, they get someone else in.

I let my customers 'see over my sholder' while I am working. I also explain why the appliance is not working etc. If I cannot fix, I do not charge. How many CORGI and 'DIYers' do that?

DP, if you work in Sussex.....I can recommend you to people. I`ve been told about now`t but overcharging by corgi`s by friends/ old customers

DP said:
I let my customers 'see over my sholder' while I am working. I also explain why the appliance is not working etc. If I cannot fix, I do not charge

And isn't that how it should be done? I love watching a tradesman at work, some of the tips you pick up become a time and money saver in later life. I watched a guy fit a laminate floor, I ended up doing all our downstairs floors.

You're not based in the north are you?

Sponsored Links
Personally I can`t stand the customer looking over my shoulder, mainly because I find it scary! I had one woman turn off the t.v. & literally stand behind me in the kitchen whilst I removed & refitted her boiler! Staring, she was...just....staring....I had the good sense to remove all cutlery & sharp objects from the immediate vicinity though..In the end (about 6.30) I asked her quite politely if she didn`t have anything better to do, whereupon she swiftly made an exit & fell asleep on the couch...staring she was.....just.....staring...

Bamber gaspipe said:
Personally I can`t stand the customer looking over my shoulder, mainly because I find it scary! I had one woman turn off the t.v. & literally stand behind me in the kitchen whilst I removed & refitted her boiler! Staring, she was...just....staring....I had the good sense to remove all cutlery & sharp objects from the immediate vicinity though..In the end (about 6.30) I asked her quite politely if she didn`t have anything better to do, whereupon she swiftly made an exit & fell asleep on the couch...staring she was.....just.....staring...

Laughing my ass off... ok, a new look on it from a tradesman point of view!

I operate a no-fix no-fee but that is pretty irrelevant as I can fix any boiler.

We do charge a fixed price diagnostic fee. Obviously replacement parts are extra. I note the people who come for free are the "need a new boiler" brigade.

Wherever I can get enough details I give an idea in advance of what the likely total cost to repair is based on the symptoms as described.

Since I often bring trainees so I have no problem with anyone watching me. One asian family brought a bench so their five children could sit and watch me but after 20 minutes they got bored and went off to play.

Tony Glazier

Agile said:
I operate a no-fix no-fee but that is pretty irrelevant as I can fix any boiler.

But sometimes I think you lack a little self confidence Tony :)

6 week job I did many moons ago, the old dears pulled up a couple of chairs and watched me from the time I started to the time I finished. all the time moving from room to room as the job progressed.

Never even made a drink, even with the odd hint about it being a dry old job.

Another posh cow, :eek: used to unlock the door to whatever room I was working in, and then lock me in, when I wanted out you had to ring the bell.

You've got to remember a few things about CORGI, mostly things it's not.

It's not a member's club - it has NO members. We're all 'registrants'.

CORGI SHOULD only be concerned about GAS SAFETY. Not about water plumbing, boiler repair or ANYTHING else. Just gas safety. It DOES meddle in other areas but it's NOT part of it's HSE remit to do so.

IPHE and other 'member's clubs' DO address boiler repairs (not member so don't know which if any recognise specific boiler skills).

Any member's club tends to protect member's interests at the expense of non-members.

All recent attempts by Government to create meaningful standards in plumbing, energy efficiency etc. have been dismal failures so far because they turn into multiple-choice box-ticking exercises with very low success criteria.

Another posh cow, used to unlock the door to whatever room I was working in, and then lock me in
Where was she? inside or outside? and what was the pre-condition for getting the door open? :LOL:

doitall said:

Another posh cow, :eek: used to unlock the door to whatever room I was working in, and then lock me in, when I wanted out you had to ring the bell.

This is unsafe practice, but no doubt you added danger money to the bill.

croydoncorgi said:
Another posh cow, used to unlock the door to whatever room I was working in, and then lock me in
Where was she? inside or outside? and what was the pre-condition for getting the door open? :LOL:

outside thankfully :cool:

Every door in the house was locked at all times.

She used to open the door and lock it behind you, unlock the next etc.

oilman said:
doitall said:

This is unsafe practice, but no doubt you added danger money to the bill.

I was young and just staring out then, now I would tell her where to stick her job. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back