Corgi certification of boiler and gas hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Hoping you can answer a question that has been troubling me!

My parents are in the process of having there house renovated. In the process I did all the 'wet work' for the central heating, new pipework, radiators etc, to the boiler for the Corgi guy to fit and supply the boiler. I know he is a time served 'pukka' Corgi man.

They also had a new kitchen fitted with a gas hob, kitchen fitters did this but did not commision the hob etc.

The 'Corgi' boiler man said that he is happy to commision the boiler and commision/inspect the hob at the same time.

I also know that he has his ticket for gas hobs and gas fires.

My question is, is this all legal? Is it OK for him to commision someone elses work on the hob? In this instance as effectivally he is the last person to touch the hob, is he liable for the guarnatee on this?

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to give you all the info on this one!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
There is no real problem in him commissioning the boiler and hob but he is not able to notify them to CORGI for building control purposes.

He could be held liable for any gas safety problems but no way could he be held liable for any guarantee or warantee on the appliances. The law is clear on this point that it is the supplier of the equipment assuming it was a trade outlet.

Forgive my ignorance in this.

My concern is if and when they come to sell the house. Would he rigister the commision with Corgi?

If when they come to sell is the Corgi certificate anything to do with the HIP thing? I know this is about energy efficiency but thought appliance might be involved............

If the CORGI connected the gas and commissioned the boiler then he should have notified CORGI who will inform Building Control and satisfy any HIP requirements.

He might also notify CORGI of the hob but strictly he should not notify CORGI as he did not fit it himself.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Every corgi on here has their own views on commisioning other peoples work. The difficulty lies not with part completed installs where the customer has done the wet work and not touched the boiler, gas line, flue etc although in order to register the Part L require,ments will have to be shown to be met (fairly easy to spot!). The problem comes with gas appliances fitted by none RGI's and then 'commisioned' by them. Personally, if i don't fit i won't commission. Two reasons, first, i work in a closed shop industry, in otherwords, all things being equal, only i or another RGI can carry out this work and to let someone have the benifit of my time, money and effort of obtaining those qualifications that allow me to work in the industry seems to me to be cutting off my nose for short term gain. But more importantly, if i commission and register I become responsible and if i am potentially going to face criminal sanctions then by heck i want to fit it, start to finish.

If any new gas appliance installs are not registered there could be repercussions when the property is sold. ie HIPS will need to contain all building control notices for notifiable work.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back