Corgi confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I called out a corgi heating engineer because a motorised valve for my unvented system blew a fuse (it was sited under the bath) - the engineer then condemned the boiler for thee reasons

Floor standing boiler sitting on combustible material (can be fixed)

No terminal guard fitted (within 2m of ground) (can be fixed)

Flue not 300mm from doorway/internal corner (flue is on outside wall within 300mm of a garage back door)

He also said electric components under the bath were a hazard

He recommended replacing with a combination boiler and installing this in the upstairs airing cupboard (because it was 'easier' - no extra components to install)

Current boiler is potterton Kingfisher (looks old) - 3 bed semi, 7 rads, 1 bath, electric shower - I don't have the heat loss calculations) it is installed under the stairs (presumably a health risk?)

My questions:

What are the regulations on siting flues? can you use an extension kit to comply with the regulations? Do condensing boilers overcome any flue regulations? (less exhaust fumes/heat)

Do Corgi regs cover siting of electrical components like motorised valves?

I have had several corgi engineers round all giving conflicting advice on combination boilers vs conventional - some say 24kw is enough others say 28kw and minimum flow rate 0of 10-11 litres/min - I have tested mains at c. 20 litres/min

Depending on the regs do I have any choice (only place to install is in airing cupboard if under stairs is a no no)

Is it really easier to replace with combination boiler?

Engineer also said he would flush (not powerflush) the system with the new boiler installed - is this sound advice and in line with manufacturer benchmarks?

Sponsored Links
Moody said:
Current boiler is potterton Kingfisher (looks old)
My Potterton Kingfisher floor standing boiler is coming up to 24 years old and never let me down yet.
Is it really easier to replace with combination boiler?
What's wrong with your old boiler ?

If you do a search on Combi boiler it will give you some idea what problem they can be. If you noticed most question asked here are combi problem but they are getting better.

The experts here will hopefully answer the rest of your question.......

I would stick with Kingfisher, I would have the valve relocated, Some of the earlier suggestion are valid. Going from vented to sealed can be troublesome. Combi boiler will give you poor flow rate.

I frown at advise that the system will not be powerflushed. It must be chemically cleansed, and inhibited, Any dirt left in the system is going to kill the new boiler. Makers may not want to know such a system

28 Kw is a better bet for a combi as the price difference is negligible against a 24Kw, airing cupboard is excellent place for it as long as it's not on a studded wall next to bedroom.

Check the MI installation instructions of your Kingfisher as it may not matter if the boiler is on combustible material.

Terminal gaurd easy peasy to fix.

Flue too near doorway would be at risk, so depends if products of combustion are entering the property or not, normally warning notice given and rectified when boiler replaced.

Ask an electrician about under bath, if non of it is accesible when the panel is on and cant be touched when showering or bathing it may not matter.

Condensing boiler flues are a bigger pain as they plume and upset neighbours.

If you have old radiators a Worcester 28Cdi with the optional open vent kit will avoid the worry of pressuriseing old radiators and pipework.

Treat system with Sentinel X400 a week before (unless you have a primatic system) before fitting of new boiler and then flush heating with mains pressure using two hose pipes and do each radiator at a time, it allways works for me, or use propietry powerflush equipment.

CORGI are only interested in gas regs (if your lucky).

Right now wait for the flack

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
DP said:
I would stick with Kingfisher, I would have the valve relocated, Some of the earlier suggestion are valid. Going from vented to sealed can be troublesome. Combi boiler will give you poor flow rate.

Is the valve location in breach of regs?

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
Check the MI installation instructions of your Kingfisher as it may not matter if the boiler is on combustible material.

Are you saying this is not a breach of regs if the installation instructions allow it? Note the boiler is on plywood sitting on concrete floor so presumably can be lifted?

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
Flue too near doorway would be at risk, so depends if products of combustion are entering the property or not, normally warning notice given and rectified when boiler replaced.

I don't think I can rectify this because the bolier is under the stairs and the flue will always be within 300 mm of external garage doorway - would an extension kit overcome this?

If the MI instructions say it can be fitted on a timber floor then it's ok, if the regs have been changed since the boiler was fitted then it's not fitted to current regs and only needs sorting when the boiler is replaced.

You wont get an extension kit for an old BF Kingfisher, unless you live with the door open and are getting products of combustion back into the property I should leave it as it is for the remaing life of the boiler, then when it is repalced the new boiler will have to be fitted to current regs, I would fit a flue gaurd though. DONT TRY TO INTERFERE WITH THE FLUE AND FIT ANY DIY DEFLECTORS OR EXTENSIONS.

I would say all 3 are not to current standards situations as long as the combustible material is showing no signs of scorching. ie forget it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back