Corgi Engineers giving conflicting advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have recently installed pipework to a renovation project. I have called out 5 seperate Corgi engineers and they all give dfferent advice about the following:

Gas pipe can/cannot be positioned behind a plasterboard stud wall.

Multiflue gas fire needs/no need for metal flue (I have a class 1 chimney, with a 250mm square brick flue).

Can anyone enlighten me to the truth!

Sponsored Links
keysersoze said:
Hi

I have recently installed pipework to a renovation project. I have called out 5 seperate Corgi engineers and they all give dfferent advice about the following:

Gas pipe can/cannot be positioned behind a plasterboard stud wall.

Multiflue gas fire needs/no need for metal flue (I have a class 1 chimney, with a 250mm square brick flue).

Can anyone enlighten me to the truth!

yes it can as long as it is protected

class 1 flue carrys all :eek:

Thanks for the rsponse kevplumb.

What do you mean by protected? sheath it?

cheers

kevplumb said:
class 1 flue carrys all :eek:

Depending on condition of course, if it is in poor condition a flue liner would be required but that call would be an engineers personal judgement.

Sponsored Links
What's a "multiflue" fire? :confused:

Her's some guff on installing in stud walls which shows how stupid corgi are:

Dry lined walls: where gas pipes are installed behind dry lined walls they should be corrosion protected and encased by building material, ie, plaster. No additional ventilation will be required. Timber construction walls: As mentioned, if the dwelling has been constructed to Robust building details or ADE, the buildings designer or manufacturer should be contacted to gain approval before any ducts or channels are placed within walls.

To avoid the need to provide additional ventilation within timber construction walls, the gas installation pipework should be run within purpose-designed ducts or channels that are no larger than the dimensions given in Table 1. (( me - that's small)) That part of the duct or channel within the void or space should be capable of containing gas.

If the gas pipework is installed, for example in an interior stud wall and is not placed within a channel of a cross sectional area and volume no greater than required by Table 1, the whole void of that wall will need to be taken into account for the purposes of calculating the ventilation requirements.

I do like the bit in blue. How the heck are you supposed to encase a pipe in plaster in a stud wall :eek: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back