class 1 gas fire with a class 2 flue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help!!

I have had an offer accepted on a house and the surveyors report suggests a problem with the gas fire.

It says:
'The client will need to engage the services of a corgi registered heating engineer in order to check that the class 2 type flue terminal is suitable for the gas fire within the lounge, which is normally classes as a class 1 appliance.'

The problem is that there are many other concerns with the property, and the seller is already allowing us to have builders in to give quotes.

I understand gas fires can be lethal, and have no intention of using the fire until it is checked, but my questions are:

1. Is it likely to be a problem if it is a class 1 appliance in a class 2 flue?
2. How much will it likely cost to fix, and what is the best way to proceed?

Sponsored Links
The problem is that there are many other concerns with the property, and the seller is already allowing us to have builders in to give quotes.

The property sounds like a white elephant with all the red flags! :eek:

I would look elsewhere and let someone else have the pleasure. Its obviously going cheap for a reason! :rolleyes:

It's not going cheap, not sure why you would think that.

When I say other problems, they are all easily fixable and nothing out of the ordinary, the house is a 'one off' and I would not be able to find it elsewhere. The seller is being really helpful with getting quotes for all the urgent matters, and I don't want to inundate him with contractors checking every last thing!

Al I wanted was some information about gas fires and flues from people with better knowledge than me.

From my research, I think that it should be possible to change the flue with little difficulty. But does anyone know if there is anyway of finding out if the fire is definitely class 1 or 2, or is this something only a corgi engineer can determine?

What fire is fitted as some fires have 2 models one designed for class 1 and 1 designed for class 2 they look almost identical.
Example valor dream fireslide.

But i would not be using a class 1 fire on a class 2 flue as it could possibly kill.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Chris R, I will definitely not be using the fire until I know for sure it is ok, I was just hoping to save an expensive bill just to be told it's fine!

Thanks for the link - I'd come across that website whilst doing some research. The property used to have a coal fire when originally built, so I thought it would be type 1 but the surveyor is confident it is a type 2 flu. I'm assuming he must have measured the diameter?! If not I'm not sure how else he could tell?

I think your advice to contact the manufacturer is excellent, I will find the fire's data badge and find if the fire is type 1 or 2 when I move in. Then at least I can measure the flue myself if necessary to check it's ok.

Is the only difference between class 1 and 2 the difference in diameter?

A class 1 flue is suitable for use with solid fuel or gas.

A class 2 is for gas only.

My interpretation of your post is,"A class 2 terminal has been fitted to a class one flue and appliance"

It should be checked by a RGI!

Re reading what you have put . I would say yes you have a class 1 flue(chimney) as it has been used for solid fuel. AND it has got a five inch GC1 terminal fitted.
It will be a case of checking manufacturers instruction as this is acceptable with a lot of fires but not all

Thank you for all the advice.

The seller has rang the manufacturer who says the fire is suitable for both class 1 and class 2 flues. I didn't know enough about fires to know that this could be the case.

So I'm assuming I no longer need to have the fire and flue checked by a corgi engineer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back