Corgi Registered Plumbers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had an interesting conversation with a Tech Engineer at Corgi.

Went round to do an estimate for replacement CU. Found a boiler installed by a reg plumber with no cross bonding on boiler supply pipes, no main earth on either the gas or water mains, and a fused spur with 13A fuse tapped off a JB with 5 cables terminating in it, and that supply fed from a 30A circuit in 1.00mm2 T & E.

The Tech Engineer told me that corgi registration does not involve itself with the electrical side of things, and the electrical knowledge required by a reg plumber is minimal.

"He should be able to recognise when there is no bonding or another potentially dangerous omission", the engineer told me, "but all he is required to do is warn the householder that it needs attention."

"And he can commission the system regardless?" I asked, "Yes, as long as he has warned the customer, that's OK", was his reply.

Calling all 10 gallon hat wearers - join up as a Corgi registered plumber and enjoy unimpeded electrical abuse, with no comeback!!

Sponsored Links
The good thing about that is Part P will actually address this point. I have, today, had a 2.75 hour conversation on the phone with the NICEIC Part P team on a number of topics, and I am impressed by their organisation on this I must admit, however in the converstion "other trades" that may be involved in electrical works, such as plumbers, Aerial Installers, Kitchen fitters etc will have to register under Part P in order to do this work, although the regsitration is flexible to take their lack of greater knowledge into account.

The good thing is that there will be comeback then, any member of a related trade that does not register, will not be allowed to do any electrical work at all, and if they do they can and will be prosecuted under the building Regs.

I'm all for kicking out the cowboys, but still am having great difficulty seeing how this scheme can be successfully implemented.

FWL_Engineer said:
I have, today, had a 2.75 hour conversation on the phone with the NICEIC Part P team on a number of topics

I would love to know what your relationship with the NICEIC is like. Is it a friendly afternoon chat job or heres this f***** b*****ringing up again! No offence intended :)

Sponsored Links
Forgive me fwl for answering for you, but from what I've seen it's a love/hate relationship. He loves to hate the NIC!!

It's probably like my relationship with the IEE, keep them sweet to their face & slag 'em off behind their backs!!

BR said:
FWL_Engineer said:
I have, today, had a 2.75 hour conversation on the phone with the NICEIC Part P team on a number of topics
BR wrote:
I would love to know what your relationship with the NICEIC is like. Is it a friendly afternoon chat job or heres this f***** b*****ringing up again! No offence intended :)

Well said BR, Chuckle :LOL:

FWL_Engineer said:
I have, today, had a 2.75 hour conversation on the phone with the NICEIC Part P team

What he forgot to say, was that he was on hold for 2hours 40minutes.........

il78 said:
What he forgot to say, was that he was on hold for 2hours 40minutes.........

Not at all - FWL has a direct contact no. for top brass at NICEIC :!: :)

securespark said:
It's probably like my relationship with the IEE, keep them sweet to their face & slag 'em off behind their backs!!

Just so long as you don't change your name by deedpoll to "Securespark", I am sure they will never find out!

Thanks Guys, I may have been the butt of these jokes..but damne they made me laugh..you bunch of bar-stewards :D

As for the NICEIC....they do a lot right, but they do a lot wrong too :confused:

Things will change soon, that's all I can say :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back