Corgi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it true that you can do gas work without being corgi registered as long as it is done for free?
Surely if this was the case then anybody could do a plumbing job that requires gas work amongst other things( E.G Fitting a central heating system). And just show in the bill that they did the gas work for free.

:?: :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
As far as I am aware this is not true, but I would suggest this question would be better asked in Plumbing as there will be those in the know there..

If it's done as part of a business, even if it's for "free" it's illegal if the operator and business isn't registered. Pretending this was done for "free" is not going to keep you out off court.

My understanding is that it has to be done by a 'competent person'.

If it is done correctly then you are competent (how could you prove othewise?). If it is not done correctly then you are incompetent.

joe

Sponsored Links
joe-90 said:
My understanding is that it has to be done by a 'competent person'.

If it is done correctly then you are competent (how could you prove othewise?). If it is not done correctly then you are incompetent.

joe

Well you are WRONG! Search the forum, it's been covered before.

Oilman
Why not say 'WRONG, look here', Rather than make people go looking for what you know is there & where it can be found.
I think then you get a 'thanks mate' rather than people thinking 'smartarse'.

I think I may have seen it on here somwhere. doing a google I dont find much, ie http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/gas_law.htm, & I dont think that is clear.

Diyisfun said:
Oilman
Why not say 'WRONG, look here', Rather than make people go looking for what you know is there & where it can be found.
I think then you get a 'thanks mate' rather than people thinking 'smartarse'.

I think I may have seen it on here somwhere. doing a google I dont find much, ie http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/gas_law.htm, & I dont think that is clear.

You have your opinion about me, joe keeps coming out with unfounded statements, he should do some research first. There are many questions that have been asked several times recently, I don't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of where they all are, but if someone would like to pay for some of my time I will trawl about to find them. You can think smartarse if you wish. Thanks mate!

Oilman, it wasnt a dig at you personally (I dont know you), but as you are aware, there are a few posters on here that would rather say 'LOOK' than point the writer to the answer.

Yes I agree the same question is asked many times, the big problem when you do a topic search is that it can take a long time finding the right thread with the decisive answer

Somebody has to spend the time. If I can't recall the question has been asked before, I'll do most of the work. If the question has been asked several times before, I can give a precied answer. If someone then posts twaddle, they need to go and look and learn and put some effort into it. I don't see spoon feeding as a good way to encourage their learning. There is a culture about which seems to think that the unpaid people who give answers here are not to give any answer at all unless they can definitively give an answer with all the references required. I have another view, I will help those who I consider genuinely need help, and those who persistently spout twaddle will have to go and find some ammunition if they want to do battle.

Joe is a good guitarist, but often pronounces on subjects when he obviously doesn't understand the position. In that case HE needs to go and find the information in the hope he will learn something to his advantage.

I think I can guess as to who some of the people are who post "LOOK" answers. Ofen the answer is justified. The original poster could just as easily have put a few words into a search engine, and not added to the significant load already on the DIYnot forums. It seems they are expecting a Do-It-For-Me forum rather than DIY.

Those (and there are some) who just post a query like "My boilers broke, wot do I do." Will get the answer "Freeze". Those who bother to give lots of information will get some help.

Don't be silly. By definition anyone that does work according to all current regulations is competent.

Try proving someone incompetent when the work is done correctly and see how far you get.

joe

If the person doing the work is doing in the course of their normal business activities, they are allowed to do it ONLY if they are a Competent Person (note the capitals) this is someone who is registered under one of the government approved schemes, and presently the only one for gas is run by CORGI.

Now FFS stop being silly yourself, and stop thinking you know the answers.

oilman said:
If the person doing the work is doing in the course of their normal business activities, they are allowed to do it ONLY if they are a Competent Person (note the capitals) this is someone who is registered under one of the government approved schemes, and presently the only one for gas is run by CORGI.

Now FFS stop being silly yourself, and stop thinking you know the answers.

Give me a case where someone followed the regs and was prosecuted for doing the job properly. Competent means - well, competent. There are plenty of competent people out there. There are plenty of incompetent CORGI guys out there.

So as long as you follow the regs you can do what you like.

Gedditt yet?

Thort not.

joe

You can believe what you like, but DON'T keep trying to peddle legally incorrect information here. You DON'T understand, if you think you do, and you think you are right, write to the ODPM, prove me wrong, and publish their reply here. Until then, shut up.

oilman said:
You can believe what you like, but DON'T keep trying to peddle legally incorrect information here. You DON'T understand, if you think you do, and you think you are right, write to the ODPM, prove me wrong, and publish their reply here. Until then, shut up.

I'd be quite happy to go to court and argue that 'competent person' meant a person that was competent.

Are you saying that a competent person cannot install a gas appliance and get paid for it yet an incompetent one can install gas as long as they don't get paid for being incompetent?

Whether you like it or not, I care little.

joe

You seem to have a problem understanding things. YOU CAN ONLY DO WORK ON A GAS APPLIANCE IN THE COURSE OF A BUSINESS IF BOTH YOU AND THE BUSINESS IS REGISTERED UNDER A GOVERNMENT APPROVED SCHEME.

Am I getting through?

Sponsored Links
Back