Corner shelf for AVR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,

I wanted to add a shelf to a corner of the room to put my audio video receiver on , hidden behind the TV. The AVR is about 10kg. The shelf doesn't need to be pretty as it will be behind the TV, my question is more about the best way to support the weight of a triangular shelf + avr.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
2" x 1" Battens screwed to the two walls to form a right angle in the corner. Then screw a front bracing piece to form a triangle.
Fit triangular shelf of plywood of desired thickness, (9mm, 12mm 18mm ), and screw down into support battens to secure.
Paint/varnish shelf and supports in desired colour.

2" x 1" Battens screwed to the two walls to form a right angle in the corner. Then screw a front bracing piece to form a triangle.
Fit triangular shelf of plywood of desired thickness, (9mm, 12mm 18mm ), and screw down into support battens to secure.
Paint/varnish shelf and supports in desired colour.
Cheers. I had seen this online but was worried about the load it needed to carry. Sorry for the daft question but can you explain what you mean by a front bracing piece?

Sponsored Links
Corner Shelf 005.jpg
Corner Shelf 006.jpg

The bracing piece can go across between the frames as above, or be attached to the front of the shelf as a lipping, which can either create an upwards lip at the front:

Corner Shelf 007.jpg

or a downwards lipping:

Corner Shelf 008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
keep in mind the shelve will be a lot deeper than you think
say your box is 250mm wide and 200 back to front you shelve will be around 350 deep and a bit more iff cables out the back push it forward
but remember your actual shelve need only go back far enough to support the machine and an you can have open space at the back for cables to drop through??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back