Corner summer house roof advise?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to build a summer house with a 2 or 3 sided roof to fit into a corner as the picture examples show. I'm wanting it to match my house roof & out buildings which are green slate so will either be having a green slate or zinc finish on this.

If I slate a 3 sided roof can anyone advise the best method to seal the ridges as I don't think the angles will suit ridge tiles, is there a name for the lead method that looks like it's been formed over a mop handle?

Are there any benefits to a zinc roof or is it to expensive? View media item 79536 View media item 79537 View media item 79538

Sponsored Links
As a bit of a traditional roofing fan I would go for the slate roof with wood core rolled lead hips(not ridges ;) )

That would finish it off with a bit of class(IMHO)

I do prefer the 3 sided roof as it looks nicer in my opinion over the two sided one with the centre ridge and overhang.

So Are the slates just mitred up as close to each other as possible then the lead is fit formed over a mop handle (or round wood)? What secures the lead to the slate as it lays over the 2 angles?

I'll be doing the slate myself but finding someone to do the lead part.

just checked the angle of the roof as the highest point has to be a max 3m so the roof angle wont be enough for the slates I wanted to use as they require 27.5 degrees. Anyone know anything about zinc or anything else that looks decent and thats durable?

Sponsored Links
What pitch have you come up with?

BS5534 suggests a minimum pitch of 20º(can't work out how to enter degree sign)depending on exposure & headlap etc.

A lesser º can be achieved using slate from a manufacturer called ssg or similar.

Message from mod 14 - a superscript zero can be done by holding down the ALT key while typing 0186 : º
ALT and 0176 gives you the proper one which is smaller: °
HTH :)

Sorry Terry I must of forgotton to reply to this.
It's working out too flat when I have measuresd it again. 3m at the back and 2.15m at the front only gives 13-15.5 pitch on the different faces.

Zinc or some other metal surface seems to be my only option but it seems very hard to find anyone in the Cumbria NW area who carries out this work.

Maybe there are other options I haven't heard of. Not sure how long fibre glass roofs last. The reason I wanted slate was so it lasts a lifetime, same as zinc, and both can be done in green to blend in.

Shingles are going to have the same problem as slates too I imagine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back