Fitting flashing/finishing shed roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to finish off the top of a shed roof I have done at home and have bought a roll of class 4 lead flashing. My idea was to slit into the rear of the shed wall around 30mm deep, push the length of lead in, fold it 90 degrees so its going up vertical, then bend it over the ridge and onto the slate. I can't think of any other option as the angled ridge slates a seen only came in one set angle which looked between 35-45 degrees and doesn't suit my roof where as the lead will be flexible.

If I'm to do what I say, how wide does the slit have to be in the block wall, grinder blade thickness? or twice as wide to allow for wedges?

Also where the lead folds over slate do you seal this in anyway or just tap it down tight against the slate? Do you use lead silicone?

Sponsored Links
Sorry as I'm not a roofer I'm a little confused.
What do you mean by fix a facia to the rear of the wall and a ridge batten to the top, is the lead somehow attached to the facia or ridge batten? What size is a ridge batten, different to a 19x38mm slate batten or 25x50mm tile batten? Would this way not just add a lot of expense because I'd have a facia and straps to buy?

Sponsored Links
Do you have to seal flashing down to the slates wit silicone or lead silicone? or is it just tapped down and lays over them flush?

I still haven't done anything with it. I was thinking of just attaching the lead to a strip of wood across the back and folding it (like you fold felt back on itself when doing a flat roof and attaching to the facia) then over the ridge again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back