Porch Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently moved into a cottage with an unfinished porch. The previous owner has been trying to get the builder to come and finish it without any success so it's down to me! All the slates and lead flashing are on site.

Never having done leadwork or slates before my first question is concerning the lead. The flashing will sit on top of the slates but does the ridge tile nearest the wall sit on the flashing?

Secondly, are the ridge tiles bedded on mortar as with a tiled roof?

Thanks for any help or other useful suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Can't believe the builder never finished that, he was almost there :unsure:

I aint a clue bout lead, the pros will be along shortly :cool:

12_3.jpg

1 does the ridge tile nearest the wall sit on the flashing?

Secondly, are the ridge tiles bedded on mortar as with a tiled roof?

1 Strictly speaking the flashing is the vertical piece of lead so the ridge doesn't sit on it. However, that said there is usually a shaped piece of lead at the top called a sadle that goes over the two slopes of the roof and against the wall in conjuntiion with the soakers and which is in turn covered by the flashing. So the ridge tile sits on the sadle. Does the ridge tile sit up to the flashing? Some do and some don't is the answer, I always tend to sit it up to the flashing and point up with a sealant like Leadmate.

2 yes

It's a pity that the builder has cut a chase for the flashing or I would have advised to have the stepped flashing as shown in freddies picture it's so much more attractive.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies.

The saddle that is mentioned, is it just cut out of a flat piece of lead and then formed over the ridge? I presume in my case the chase in the wall must be wide enough to take 2 thicknesses of lead for both saddle and flashing. I must get up and check.

Just do as Freddie has said and flash it first, then fit the ridge.

There is absolutely no mileage in fitting a lead saddle over the last ridge.

The step (side) flashings meet at the ridge then a single, 12" or so, piece of lead covers the join. then bed the ridge.

The saddle that is mentioned, is it just cut out of a flat piece of lead and then formed over the ridge? I presume in my case the chase in the wall must be wide enough to take 2 thicknesses of lead for both saddle and flashing.

The saddle is formed from two pieces of lead welded (or soldered) together, it doesn't go into the wall at all , its vertical face sits against the wall like the soakers and the horizontal face lies on the common tiles with the ridge tile on top of that.
I wouldn't fully agree with noseall that there's absolutely no mileage in fitting one it's possible to flash a roof without one but in my opionion (for what it's worth )I still consider it a better job.

http://maxiflowltd.com/leadwork.htm have a read here it may help.
Mods I've got nothing to do with this company just found on a search.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back