Corner tile gap advice please ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi :) ,

I could really do with some professional advice on this one please ??

As a keen and competent DIY'er I'm tiling a three sided shower enclosure with porcelain tiles (300 x 600). Its very, very rare that I have to do any tiling and I'm a perfectionist........but unfortunately don't have the skills to do a perfect job, which frustrates the feck out of me :mad: :p. (I think at this point I should say "respect" to tilers.....it's a bitch of a job to get right, especially by hand without any levelling tools !! (y))

At the very beginning of the project I fitted this tile in the bottom corner (see pics) and unfortunately the gap between it and its 90° neighbour is 5.5mm. At the time of fitting I thought it looked crap and thought about changing it out and cutting another one with a closer gap, but because I was using an angle grinder to cut the tiles, they were expensive and I thought I might run short of tiles, and I wanted to just crack on......I couldn't be arsed !! I learnt from my mistake though and the rest of the tiles up the corner walls are a much closer and acceptable fit.

It's come to silicone sealer time, and the gap looks huge in comparison to the others. My question is.......should I just use a larger bead of silicone to cover it, or should I chip the tile out and put another one in so I can have a smaller neater bead ?? I'm reluctant to chip the tile out as I went to great effort and expense to tank the walls and don't want to damage that, especially in the corner :cry:

Tile - Copy.JPG

Tile - 1.JPG

Any advice would be appreciated,
Cheers,
Graeme.

Sponsored Links
You could grout that piece using a grout of similar colour, then silicone how you want.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back