Correct cable selection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My intention is to run some 5050 LED strip under the kitchen cabinets, the issue that I have is that I have to go up and over the extractor and back down the other side to continue the run.

I dont want to go up and over with the LED strip so I will need to cut and connect the LED strip together.

The LED strip I am considering is 72W, 12V, 5A for the fill 5M run although ill be using only around 4M.

I have been searching for suitable wire to connect the 2 runs together and have found some 20awg wire that suggests it is suitable for the job.
Hoever the spec of the cable states it is for a max current of 250V, 2A

So my question is, will this wire be suitable for 5A at 12V ?
I accept there may be aprox 5% loss as the cable run will be 1.5m.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
20AWG (about 0.75mm2) wire is rated in cars as being good for 20A at 12Volts.
The link you have posted actually says 14A, but that is still a lot more than 5A ...
But note that this also means all 0.75mm2 wire is good for your use.
Indeed. However, BS7671 indicates the CCC of 0.75mm² flex as only 6A. Although that's still a bit over 5A, it is a lot less than 14A, so I wonder where the latter figure came from (given that CCC has nothing to do with voltage). In fact, the listing you linked to is a bit of a mess. For example, title of the item says 20 AWG, but the specification (which seems to actually be for 0.75mm²) says 19 AWG!

In passing, although LED strips are not something I've had any dealings with, 72W of it (or the ~60W the OP plans to use) sounds like an awful lot of LED lighting (unless there are some major losses) for what is presumably not the primary lighting of the kitchen.

Kind Regards, John

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof...c=1&ref_=ox_sc_act_image_6&smid=AV7KSH7XB8RNM

This is the LED strip I intend to use, the spec says 300 LEDs (SMD’s to be precise) at 72w and it recommends a driver of 12V, 5A, 60W.
I was incorrect in my initial post suggesting 72W

I’m starting to get a little cold feet with this set as it does seam somewhat high powers compared to other sets. Perhaps it’s the 5050 SMDs.

Sponsored Links
I’m starting to get a little cold feet with this set as it does seam somewhat high powers compared to other sets. Perhaps it’s the 5050 SMDs.
As you will understand, that was my thought. After all, assuming that it is resonably efficient, even 60W of LEDs is probably equivalent, in light output, to around 300-400W of incandescent lighting - which, as I said, sounds like an awful lot for 'secondary' lighting (indeed, probably more than enough to adequately light the whole room!).

Kind Regards, John

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof...c=1&ref_=ox_sc_act_image_6&smid=AV7KSH7XB8RNM

This is the LED strip I intend to use, the spec says 300 LEDs (SMD’s to be precise) at 72w and it recommends a driver of 12V, 5A, 60W.
I was incorrect in my initial post suggesting 72W

LEDs drawing a total of 72W from a 60W power supply = not working for long

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back