Correct connection of electrics for combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wanted to pick peoples brains on the correct method for supplying power to a combi boiler. A friend had his boiler replaced a while back and the plumbers wired a three pin plug to the end of the flex leading to the boiler and plugged it into the nearest socket. That struck us both as odd - surely a fixed appliance should be connected permanently via a FCU?

I am getting a combi fitted in a few weeks so I wanted to clarify this so I knew what was happening in case my installer does the same thing.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Although manufacturers will tell you to do the FCU way there is nothing wrong with the plug in way IMHO (apart from the loss of a socket outlet)
BS7671 (The Wiring Regulations) do say that equipment must be installed according to manufacturers instructions.

BS7671 does include a plug and socket as a valid isolation method.

Most boiler manufacturers state that a double pole isolator must be used - a plug & socket would comply with that description.
Personally, I would fit an FCU as it looks better but that might bring you into Part P land if the boiler is in a kitchen eg

Sponsored Links
I changed from FCU to plug & socket on my boiler to make it easy to connect to an invertor when the power fails! (PS In the sticks this occurs often)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back