Correct Drilling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got two venetian blinds that I want to put up in my son's bedroom.

Please bear with me I'm a woman with a drill in my hand but I don't know what to do properly. I've googled a you tube video that makes it look easy - but I know it's not!

I'm mounting onto plaster/brick. What size drill bit should I use, also what size screw should I use? I guess the plug is red?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If the blinds are heavy, then use a brown plug with a no 7 or 8 drill (they are all approximate), and a number 8 screw. If it's a medium weight, then use a red plug with a no 6 or 7 drill, and then a no 6 screw. Start the drill on rotarry to get the drill hole started, and then move to percusion setting. If the drill won't go through into the wall, then you may be drilling into a concrete lintel, in which case you'd need an SDS drill rather than the type you've very likely got.

Hi

At the moment, I can't even get a straight line to mark out the fixings. I do actually have both types of drills - just don't know how to use them properly lol.

I want to mount the blind above the window. The window measures 103cms inside the recess. Blind is 120cm. I've measured 8.5cms each side and maked it with a pencil. I've then tried to do a straight line upwards from the dot of 3 inches - both ends. And then I've tried to join the two marks together with a long line. But when I put the spirit level on the pencil line it's out by a fair bit.

How do I get a straight line three inches above the window recess?

How long is your spirit level. As your window opening is 103cm, that makes 51.5cm from the centre of the window to its sides, and 60cm from the centre to the edge of the blinds, but what do the fitting instructions suggest. If you measure 3" up from the centre of the window, and then use the spirit level to work either side, that should help you get your levels correct. If you're drilling in about 3" above the opening, then you may well hit the concrete rsj, so I'd suggest you use the SDS drill; it'll have three setting on it, one just ordinary drilling, one is to hammer straight in, and one that does both, and that's the one you want. It may well be marked with a drill and a hammer symbol.

Sponsored Links
OK lovely thank you.

I started drilling only to find the plaster was dot and dab so I need to get different fixings! I did try but have given up today!

As long as the blind isn't too heavy, then go for brown plugs which are slightly longer, and that should get you into the wall proper.

The blind would be better cut to size and fitted in the recess instead of on the outside, fixed to frame so no drill required. But you choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back