1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Correct fixing for heavy mirror

Discussion in 'Tools and Materials' started by rossj81, 27 Sep 2020.

1. rossj81

rossj81

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I want to hang a mirror on a wall. The mirror is 1800x600 / 6'x2' landscape, so short and wide, but quite heavy 24 kg/53 lbs. The wall is plasterboard on brick.

I'm worried about putting that weight on plasterboard, so I was planning on drilling straight through into the brick. The problem is the plasterboard is 80 mm / 3" away from the brick so first I'll need to find really long screws, and then there will be a long protruding portion that's unsupported.

I could screw into the stud but there aren't any noggins at the height I want, so it's going to be a challenge using the vertical studs and still centring the mirror on the wall.

Any ideas?

2. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    150-160mm screw length , bit of tubing to use as a spacer thru plasterboard cut you size.
    Should only need a couple of these.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. Astra99

Astra99

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    For that sort of weight, I would be inclined to use at least a No. 10 (5mm) screw or even an No. 12 (6mm).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. rossj81

rossj81

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks. Would these do? 7.5x180 CSK concrete. What sort of tubing do you suggest?

6. Sponsored Links
  7. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you use concrete screws you wont need any tube they are strong enough alone.

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local