Correct height of soil pipe vent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone need advice as its stressing me out worrying about gasses

Ok so plumber came out and fitted an extension soil pipe and put vent on the end but only fitted it up just under where the gutter is but everyone elses pipes have went above the roofline and over the eaves no matter what
It even says it must always go above the roofline and any window within 3m it needs to always go 900m above the eaves or above the window

i said this to the plumber and he wasnt happy and told me he has 20 years exsperiance he knowse what hes doing
I never said he didnt but wouldnt the gasses just go into the opening of the building while its sitting right there by the loft ? I just want it above the roofline like everyone else, but hes saying because my bottom window opens from the bottom not the top it doesnt need to be above the roofline as its 900m from my bottom window so its ok
But i just want it above the roofline like everyone else to save the gasses going into the loft and the steam that comes out from the bath and shower 2 that can cause mould and moisture issues
What can i say to the plumber please
Is he right ?

Attachments

• 20230502_073401.jpg
    20230502_073401.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 190
  • Screenshot_20230502-065327_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230502-065327_Chrome.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 187
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
He knows what he should have done but he can't be bothered.

He hopes that he can browbeat you into submission.

Have you paid him yet?

How did you find and choose this workman?
Im a tenant of a lanlord so the lanlord chose him i didnt have a choice
lanlord will proberbly just go along with what he says as the plumber will proberbly tell the lanlord im bassicly being silly and he knowse what hes doing kind of thing, everyone elses just goes past the roofline i just wanted mine 2 also dont see the issue in it being above the roofline anyway why did he not just get the extra peice and do that

Probably very cheap.

I suppose you could ring Building Control at the Council.

Homes being hard to get, the **** might class you as a troublemaker.

Only speaking as a DIY'er, but 'technically" he is probably within regs - they state that the terminal should finish 900mm above any opening into the building.
Judging by the brick courses, that is about 1m higher than the top of the opening window and there are no soffit vents.
There is no regulation stating that the terminal must be above the roofline.

Screenshot_20230502-224332_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

However, this takes no account of any future changes to your house - if anyone replaces those windows to top openers, then the vent will need to be changed.

lanlord will proberbly just go along with what he says as the plumber will proberbly tell the lanlord im bassicly being silly
I had a feeling it would be one of these threads :rolleyes:

Get the landlord to tell him, that he wants to change the windows to top openers sometime soon; the terminal needs to be higher.

Probably very cheap.

I suppose you could ring Building Control at the Council.

Homes being hard to get, the **** might class you as a troublemaker.
Thankyou i will call building control and see what they say, ye i definitely think they must think im a pain but im not i generally just want it done properly lol

Only speaking as a DIY'er, but 'technically" he is probably within regs - they state that the terminal should finish 900mm above any opening into the building.
Judging by the brick courses, that is about 1m higher than the top of the opening window and there are no soffit vents.
There is no regulation stating that the terminal must be above the roofline.

View attachment 302463

However, this takes no account of any future changes to your house - if anyone replaces those windows to top openers, then the vent will need to be changed.

I had a feeling it would be one of these threads :rolleyes:

Get the landlord to tell him, that he wants to change the windows to top openers sometime soon; the terminal needs to be higher.
Thankyou for that information, only from what i saw saying that a soil vent pipe must always be terminate above the roofline and then seeing other neighbours buildings with it being above the roofline also i was so confused, also if the smells of the gasses come out the vent into the loft it would stink surley ? Being so close to the top loft and not over the roof ?

But yes i could tell him to change to top window, i have my 2 young sons in that room its so annoying and dangerous being a low window i halft to put saftey attatchments onto it i get paranoid being so low, and i carnt swap there room as the other room is tiny and my daughter is in there and then my room has mould and damp issues so wouldnt want them in here for the moment, just so much stress all the time over it all

With anything relating to regulations or safety, it's always worthwhile to send a very short letter to the landlord or agent.

If anything happens and they get caught, they hope to be able to say "I didn't know, nobody told me."

With anything relating to regulations or safety, it's always worthwhile to send a very short letter to the landlord or agent.

If anything happens and they get caught, they hope to be able to say "I didn't know, nobody told me."
I told lanlord that the plumber wasnt happy with me, saying i was questioning his 20 years of experience and told me to google it and it will say hes right,
but i did google it and it always just come up saying it needs to be above the roofline and everyone elses house it goes past that 2 so dont know why hes unhappy with me

theres many many issues with this house
Its old, no insulation all solid walls

Cold wet damp musty smells like wet soil
Smells like im living in a muddy feild in the winter the walls get wet
Its mouldy, its damp ive even got environmental health invloved currently over all of this, this soil pipe is the recent repair because for 8 years of living here there wasnt any soil pipe exstention on there in the first place and no vent at the top so it was an open hole just sitting right below that window for 8 years because i didnt have a clue about soil pipes up untill now or i would of reported it straight away, anyway im trying to move its just hard as no houses available and cannot afford another private rent

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back