Correct Joint to Use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing a small table and would like to make a leg similar to this one (3 instead of 4 feet). I take it that this is some sort of mortice and tenon ? is there anything special in its profile to stop the bottom of the mortise coming out ?

Also, I do have access to a proper morticer, how would I secure something round ? just clamp it up or make some sort of jig for it to sit in.

I will be turning the round bit myself, so potentially could turn it again after the mortises have been created.

x-TBL-3323.jpg

att @JobAndKnock

Sponsored Links
These are normally done with a dovetaied housing joint, so no mortiser. The modern way would be to make up two jigs - the first holds the table boss and allows you to work the housing using a 1/2in router, a guide bush and a stair housing bit (see Trend or Wealden for those) in one pass - the second holds the leg and allows you to work the dovetail-profile tenon, including a rounded top. The dovetail profilec automatically holds the components together, so no need for screws, dowels, etc. Done by hand the dovetails require a sliding bevel, chisels and possibly a dovetail plane

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back