Correct MCB rating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I came across an interesting one the other day.

It was a faulty Triton shower rated at 9.5KW.

However the MCB for it in the consumer unit was rated at 32amps. (Definitely the shower one as when switched off the power to the shower was off.)

Now if you take 9500watts and divide by 240 volts you would get 39.58 amps (of course the rating should be even higher if you work on 230Volts)

So how was the shower working on a 32 amp MCB?

Sponsored Links
Check out the graphs for time/current relating to the specific type of mcb installed, you will see the curve for the thermal side of the mcb and the straight line cut-off for the electro-mechanical overload trip.

As the graphs are non linear, a type B 32A would carry 40A for over 16 mins (approximatly).

Hope this helps

Interesting..

The shower had been installed by a qualified sparks so I would have thought that the correct MCB would have been a 45amp for a 9.5KW rating as it would draw 42 amps.

If the shower takes roughly 40A @ 240v it will take a little bit less at 230v - think of the element as a fixed resistance (not wanting to go into the temperature coefficient of the element material).

Sponsored Links
The rating of 9.5kW is the maximum consumption. If you run shower on the 'medium' setting then only one heating element is used and the power consumption is roughly halved.

And before you even think about uprating the MCB, check that the cable can handle the design current.

The rating of 9.5kW is the maximum consumption. If you run shower on the 'medium' setting then only one heating element is used and the power consumption is roughly halved.

So what are you suggesting?

The cable and its protective device should be capable of supplying full load.

Think it may just have been a suggestion as to why it didn't trip, but you are correct in the supply should be adequate for the load.

A misunderstanding on my part then. Should have known really as Softus' advice is usually spot-on.

I don't believe that I was suggesting anything.

We know that, but we also know that it wasn't capable.

I must be missing your point somewhere; you'll have to be less subtle.

I don't believe that I was suggesting anything.

We know that, but we also know that it wasn't capable.

I must be missing your point somewhere; you'll have to be less subtle.

Maybe but I did try to apologise in the post above :rolleyes:

If I took your post the wrong way then I'm sure it's possible for others to do the same.
I didn't want anybody to think it's OK to fit a larger shower and run it on medium setting.
At least we have clarification which is the main thing.

Sorry GaryMo - I see what happened now. - I hadn't noticed Spark123's explanation, so yes that's what I was driving at.

Our posts are crossing, so I'll shut up now. ;)

Sorry GaryMo - I see what happened now. - I hadn't noticed Spark123's explanation, so yes that's what I was driving at.

Our posts are crossing, so I'll shut up now. ;)

No worries. We're all here to help :)

Actually I down rated the replacement shower as the original 9.5KW was on 6mm cable so it was right on the limit of the cables capacity.

I put an 8.5kw in to be on the safe side for the cable, but was trying to work out the original sparks logic of putting 9.5kw on a 32 amp MCB.

Actually I down rated the replacement shower as the original 9.5KW was on 6mm cable so it was right on the limit of the cables capacity.

I put an 8.5kw in to be on the safe side for the cable, but was trying to work out the original sparks logic of putting 9.5kw on a 32 amp MCB.

I reckon he did the reverse of what you just did... i.e. he put a bigger shower in as a replacement. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back