correct MCBRCBO for immersion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a 40amp MCB fitted in my CU for my immersion heater.

I don't use the immersion heater as I use gas so its only a back-up.

I'm changing the MCB's for RCBO's because I'm having an exstension built and need to bring them upto code.

I thought an immersion was normally fitted with a 16amp fuse? Should I get a 16amp RCBO keep it at 40amp?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
What is the rating of the immersion heater in watts or kW?

What makes you think you need to do and remedial work to a circuit which I'm presuming is not affected by the construction of your extention?

What is the rating of the immersion heater in watts or kW?

What makes you think you need to do and remedial work to a circuit which I'm presuming is not affected by the construction of your extension?

It's a 2.7kW heater.

Its only a small extension, enlarging the living room and adding a single bedroom and bathroom upstairs. The upstairs & downstairs lighting and socket circuits will be extended.

I will be first fixing but my electrician wants to see all wires before I cover anything and said I would need RCD protection to the extended circuits RCBO's are the easiest option to achive this.

Only 3 circuits are not affected by the extension (shed's, Shower & Immersion), it's just made sense to me to upgrade these MCB's while I was at it.

Sponsored Links
Oh ok, fair enough.

Can your electrician not advise you on the apropriate sized RCBO?

I'm suprised he isn't supplying the parts. I certainly would.

He will be able to buy them cheaper than you, and can fit his prefered brand.

Oh, and a 16A RCBO should be fine for an immersion heater that size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back