Correct plumbing / trap required for dishwasher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if someone could advise, looking to install an integrated dishwasher...pain in the hoop that has turned out to be...well getting the last appliance out has been the biggest headache so far!

Anyway the standard water and waste hoses are both too short.

I take it longer hoses can be sought from plumbers merchants etc, however would it be ok to put the waste straight onto this in the photo ....

The one on the right I mean, is that ok or do I need to add some form of trap in too.

Also he one on the left appears to have been cut? If so is that normal?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can just connect your waste straight onto the one on the right, yes, I'd advise securing it with a jubilee clip. The one on the left may or may not be OK; have a look and see if it's blanked off in any way (I should imagine it is), if it isn't it'll need capping, other than that it's fine. Quite a tidy job done from what I can see too, although could do with isolation valves for the pipes to the tap.

Thanks for the reply, I don't think the one on the left is blanked off.

Is there any reason for it being like that, it almost looks like it has been cut, can't imagine why though.

Would it be an idea to swap the one on the right with the one on the left

There only seems to be a cold connection under the sink too, the dishwasher comes with a red hose, don't think it's essential to be connected to the hot water though.

The utility room sink has got a hot and cold connection funnily enough, perhaps they meant to do one in the kitchen and forgot.

This is what the utility wastes are like, I connected in the washing machine on the right but as you can see from here the pipe runs straight down where the one in the first photo doesn't, wasn't sure if the was an issue.

Also seen this while browsing screwfix and wondered if needed something like this also : http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12794/Plumbing/Wastes-and-Traps/40mm-Sink-Washing-Machine-Trap

If the one on the left isn't blanked off then you should do this or you'll end up with water spilling into your cupboard. You can use that one if your dishwasher waste has a threaded connection, many are just a push-fit though.

Every dishwasher I've ever come across has been cold fill only, check your manufacturers instructions but this should be OK.

The utility is probably plumbed to take a washing machine, some washing machines require both hot and cold connections.

I don't quite see what you're getting at with your point about a pipe running straight down??

I also don't see why you think you need that trap from Screwfix, you already have a trap connected which I've already told you is fine, why do you want to change it?

Sponsored Links
Ok when you mean blanked, is there a screw on cap for this?

Dishwasher is push fit which will need extending so not sure if possible to buy a threaded extension.

Dishwasher is made by Candy and comes with hot fill hose but does say can connect to cold too.

I remember when looking into getting a new washing machine couple years back I found out that the vast majority of machines were cold fill only, some still provided hot but they were in the minority.

Bit I am getting at, is on the right side the waste runs almost horizontal for a bit before joining the vertical pipe, whereas the left one would appear to almost go vertical, similar to the way both wastes go in the utility photo

By the sounds of if this is not an issue though, but obviously wanted to check since I'm no expert

There is often a top hat shaped blanking plug sandwiched in the union joint between the hosetail(s) and 'manifold'. Without blanking plugs, water would escape from the unused hose connections every time you empty the sink.

Ok in that first photo, the one of the left hand side does not appear to have anything visible, but by sounds of it it could be inside, you can put your finger inside it.

It has never leaked any water, to me it just looks like its the same connection as the one on the right, except it's been cut, well appears that way

Does anyone know what exactly I need to ask for at the plumbers merchants to blank off that part that might be a problem.

He gave me an inch brass cap but told him didn't think it was inch but he said it would be, obviously it isn't.

I explained needed a longer supply hose that was ok, got a 2.5m one, also said needed to extend waste but all he has given me is another waste hose.

It might reach but would need to replace the original but by looks of it it would means meddling with the machine.

I've been told of adjustable hoses to join to original, are these the best option, I only need another half metre or so to reach the waste.

Thanks

Does anyone know what exactly I need to ask for at the plumbers merchants to blank off that part that might be a problem.

your waste traps etc are a mcalpine SK1A
He gave me an inch brass cap but told him didn't think it was inch but he said it would be, obviously it isn't.

the thread on a mcalpine waste is 1" and should fit.
or fit a new nozzle etc mcalpine code is MA15

Thanks for the info.

Just measured the cap he gave me, receipt says 1" but its bigger.

Do you get plastic caps or only brass.

Bear in mind your talking to a novice here when you say fit a new nozzle, you mean replace the cut off section with the same as the other side in the photo?

My intention was to use one for the dishwasher waste and nothing will be connected to the other, hence the reason for blanking one off, or will it not need blanked if it has the nozzle part and not been cut down, do they have some sort of non return valve

Do these parts just unscrew and pull out?

Just measured the cap he gave me, receipt says 1" but its bigger.

should measure 1 1/4" approx. or (1.30708661" - 33.2mm)

Do you get plastic caps or only brass.

plumbers merchants etc will useally do brass cap but you can get plastic cap if you shop around.

Bear in mind your talking to a novice here when you say fit a new nozzle, you mean replace the cut off section with the same as the other side in the photo?

yes a new nozzle will come with a blanking plug as well.

MA15_Spigot.jpg

My intention was to use one for the dishwasher waste and nothing will be connected to the other, hence the reason for blanking one off, or will it not need blanked if it has the nozzle part and not been cut down, do they have some sort of non return valve
as above come with a blanking cap that fits inside.
Do these parts just unscrew and pull out?

yes.
so you can find somewhere that stocks mcalpine traps and just borrow one on a non return basis.

Yes the cap did measure 1 1/4 but I thought I was getting a cap for the nozzle that had been cut as per photo, I even showed them the photo.

Went back today before reading this reply got told if it was too big it would be 1/2 or 3/4 so just took both...asked if had plastic caps and answer was no as they needed to be brass because of heat which sounds like a load of rubbish to me given the whole bloody pipework is plastic!

I then asked if I could just get a new nozzle with some way of blanking it off and they both looked at me as if I'd told them I'd slept with their mothers!

Again the answer was dont get such a thing.

Then I ask if they have waste hoses to alow me to extend and reach the nozzle but then answer was you get two hoses...long and short end of.

The only hoses they said they had came with the larger end at one side, I think it designed to completely replace the appliances hose, meaning dismantling the appliance in some shape or form.

The feeling I'm getting from this merchants is they don't have much of a clue but maybe I'm wrong!

Have seen extentable hoses on the likes of eBay, that go from say 0.5m - 4m and sure have seen ones that can join onto existing hose but one length non adjustable, they said had never seen nor heard of these.

Any tips on these and who is most likely to stock mcalpine stuff?

Yes the cap did measure 1 1/4 but I thought I was getting a cap for the nozzle that had been cut as per photo, I even showed them the photo.

you can remove the nozzle and fit the cap providing it has a rubber seal inside the cap.

Went back today before reading this reply got told if it was too big it would be 1/2 or 3/4
yes the thread on the nozzle is 3/4" but stick would nead a rubber seal in the end of the cap to seal it.

so just took both...asked if had plastic caps and answer was no as they needed to be brass because of heat which sounds like a load of rubbish to me given the whole bloody pipework is plastic!

metal cap on a waste :rolleyes: as you say load of b*ll.
I then asked if I could just get a new nozzle with some way of blanking it off and they both looked at me as if I'd told them I'd slept with their mothers!
Again the answer was dont get such a thing.

another load of b*ll
as i said earlier with the pic and code for one.

Then I ask if they have waste hoses to alow me to extend and reach the nozzle but then answer was you get two hoses...long and short end of.

the one's i use are 1.5m - 2.5m - 0.5 that extends to 2m

The only hoses they said they had came with the larger end at one side, I think it designed to completely replace the appliances hose, meaning dismantling the appliance in some shape or form.

thats ok you use a connector to join them together
then slip the large end over the small end and fit a jubilee clip..
then you still have the small end on the oppersit end to fit to the waste.
20728336.jpg

The feeling I'm getting from this merchants is they don't have much of a clue
you sound about right.

Have seen extentable hoses on the likes of eBay, that go from say 0.5m - 4m and sure have seen ones that can join onto existing hose but one length non adjustable, they said had never seen nor heard of these.

they need to get out more. :rolleyes:
Any tips on these and who is most likely to stock mcalpine stuff?

most do mcalpine stuff.

Thanks for the clarification, there is no rubber seal inside the caps they gave me.

The place I have been using is city plumbing but doubt will be going back.

Where is best to buy one of the extendable waste hoses, I'm only looking to gain say half a metre maybe a tad more, just to come up the back on the unit and down onto the waste.

They did give me one of the connectors (17mm) it fits the small end but if the intention is to fit the large end over the existing small end then I can't see the use for the connector.

I can see how the 17mm connector would work with a hose where the two ends are the same.

Thanks for the clarification, there is no rubber seal inside the caps they gave me.

you would need a seal.
38969.jpg

The place I have been using is city plumbing but doubt will be going back.
part of travis perkins

Where is best to buy one of the extendable waste hoses, I'm only looking to gain say half a metre maybe a tad more, just to come up the back on the unit and down onto the waste.

don't know about bq etc but i get all mine from bes.
but have seen them on google, ebay etc.

They did give me one of the connectors (17mm) it fits the small end but if the intention is to fit the large end over the existing small end then I can't see the use for the connector.

the connector keeps the pipe rigid in that situation when you fit the jubilee clip or it will just crush it.
or a section of overflow pipe does the same job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back