Dishwasher plumbing query - waste after trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to a lack of space, i have had to plumb my dishwasher waste in *after* the running trap under my sink

Can anyone confirm if this is ok, or will i start getting smells up into the dishwasher or is there a trap inside the dishwasher too ?

Sponsored Links
Not OK. There is no trap inside the dishwasher and smells are likely to come back.

not a prob if you do it correctly, you can plumb it into a "standpipe" drain which incorporates a trap. This is quite correct for an appliance waste. You have to make sure the water can flow away as fast as the pump delivers it, even if the sink happens to be running at the same time.

ae235

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-standpipe-appliance-trap-white-40mm/94360

Post a photo of your wastepipe layout please.

Sponsored Links
Two problems:

1) You now have an un-trapped waste and as 'oldbuffer' said you may get drain smells back through your dishwasher

2) You dishwasher waste pipe is fitted too low (it needs to rise up to the underside of the worktop) and may well allow the contents of your kitchen sink to flow into the dishwasher. If your drains ever block then your a guaranteed a dishwasher full of sink water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back