correct sand for backfilling trench?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, nice simple one for someone in the know. We've put a new water mains supply in and have bedded and covered in 75mm of building sand to protect from rocks etc.

Should the rest of the trench be backfilled in the same building sand. Or should it be sharp sand?

We are block paving after if it makes a difference? Could type 1 stone be used?

Excavated material was red clay which was like playdoh it was that wet, this has since been took away on a grab.

I have seen fill sand mentioned but the builders merchants don't sell or know what it is when I ask for it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As long as the pipes well buried and protected, put whatever you like in there. Any sand, or soil

Would building sand be strong enough if compacted in Layers? I have type 1 if it's more suitable. Will be driving/parking right over that ooint in the future. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yeah, thought the pipe was buried in sand quite a way below it tho. But yeah.

Have gave it a good surrounding of Building sand with pea gravel around the connections.

My worry is that the clay we dug out of the trench was very soft as the boundary box has been leaking for some time. Would like to backfill with the best material I can if possible.

I’d have about 3” of sand over the pipe, compact it gently with my foot then backfill with good stuff.

Thanks for the replies. Just waiting on Severn Trent to backfill their bit so I can do mine.

Tackling the manhole brickwork now, got to raise it up a course. What mortar mix is best? Seemed rock hard when I've been chipping it off so guessing a strong mix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back