Correct screw fittings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Looks like a good forum you've got here so hopefully I can get my newbie DIY Questions answered :LOL:

I'm currently redoing my kitchen and have bought all the units from B+Q. I was going to put up a wall unit today and noticed that it didn't come with any screws to hold the brackets into the wall (says in the instructions that they are not provided because they don't know what type of wall you have which is fair enough).

I live in a normal 2 up 2 down terrest house so will be drilling into brickwork. The wall units I have are
these and my question is, what sort of screws do I need to hold these units up securely with as I really don't want them to fall down? :eek:

Any advice appreciated....TIA

Sponsored Links
If fixing to brickwork I would drill 6mm hole 50mm deep, use red plugs driven to bottom of hole (so all the plug is in the brickwork not half bwk & half plaster) then use 50x5.0 screws (2" No 10 in old money)

Jason

Thanks. I also remember reading somewhere that you shoudl drill into the bricks at a slight downward angle to stengthen the support the screws give. Would you recommend me doing this or should I just drill them dead straight?

in theory yes but wouldnt bother
your more likely to encounter problems with your
drill bit wandering off line

i always drill at an angle hopfully its 90% :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

big all

Sponsored Links
lol, I know what you mean.
I've just purchased a Black & Decker hammer drill which has got a 'level indicator' on it, so hopefully my screws should be straight :eek: :D

in theory a good idea provided its at eye hight

you can always use a sqauare or a bit of 2+1inch plained
about six inches long [square of course]
another tip take an envelope bit of lowtack tape
push the sides slightly in to open up about an inch
will catch most dust from masonary bit

big all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back