Correct thermometer when balancing CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this the correct thermometer to be used when balancing a CH system?

Brannan_clipOnThermometer.jpg

Sponsored Links
You can use those - you need two - but they rely on a decent contact between the pipe and the brass nut on the back of the thermostat. They are extremely slow reacting to changes in temperature. I have also found that they are not very accurate - had two which read different temperatures when adjacent on the same pipe.

For the same cost you can get a digital infrared thermometer, which give instant readings - and you only need one. The only thing to remember is that you should hold the gun as close to the pipe as possible. This is the area covered by the sensor gets larger as you get further away - like a torch beam. The laser pointer is redundant when you are close to the pipe.

When you say they are extremely slow to react, just how slow are they?

Problem is I don't think my Dad will buy any thermometer now, I have to wait till the summer hols :(

Sponsored Links
i would say the flow and return are about the same temperature looking at that.

Looks like you've got some adjusting to do!! :LOL:

You can use those - you need two - but they rely on a decent contact between the pipe and the brass nut on the back of the thermostat. They are extremely slow reacting to changes in temperature. I have also found that they are not very accurate - had two which read different temperatures when adjacent on the same pipe.

For the same cost you can get a digital infrared thermometer, which give instant readings - and you only need one. The only thing to remember is that you should hold the gun as close to the pipe as possible. This is the area covered by the sensor gets larger as you get further away - like a torch beam. The laser pointer is redundant when you are close to the pipe.

does that type of infrared therm. do DHW temp. aswell?? , just curious

they are that slow the trade has been using them a lot longer than electronic toys :idea:
That could be because they have been around much longer than the IR type; not because they are better.

As for slowness, it will take about 10-15 minutes for a dial thermometer to stabilize; using an IR will be virtually instant. After you adjust the LS valve on a rad, you will have to wait another 10 minutes or more for the return temperature to stabilize; that's 10 minutes lost before you can move onto the next rad. With the IR you can measure the temp, adjust the LS, move onto the next rad, adjust the LS, move on. When you have got to the last rad, you can go back to the first rad, start again giving that another tweak.

The return temp still has to stabilize, but you are not hanging around waiting for that to happen and there is no need to wait for the thermometer to stabilize.

in my experience ir thermometers are tricky on pipes; more accurate to use them on both ends of the rads to see the difference.
digital contact thermometer if you really want to be accurate.
most important is what comes out, 11K or 20K colder than the flow at the boiler works a treat

If a system with a condenser was balanced for a 20 degree differential will the output of rads be reduced?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back