Correct tool for a rebate joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a garden pergola. The posts are 100x100mm green oak. And I need to cut a rebate in the top of the posts to fit the 88x32mm cross beams.

What would be the correct power tool for this ?

Sponsored Links
A rebate?

Do you mean a lap joint or a bridle joint? Either way, a power tool wont be the correct tool. Hand saw, hammer and chisel.

Yes a lap joint looks similar, or half a lap joint anyway. Like this kind of cut https://i.ytimg.com/vi/joFoPcBhf4Y/maxresdefault.jpg

The guy in this video shows the same kind of cut I need.

Since my posts are 100mm square I was hoping a circular saw with 62mm cut depth might do it in 3 cuts (1 horizontal and two vertical), save me some hard work sawing oak by hand. I am only a rank amateur though so if you think hand saw is the correct way to do it then that's what I'll do. ANy recommendations for a good hand saw ?

Also, I'm not especially good at getting a good clean straight cut with a hand saw.

Sponsored Links
Sliding mitre saw with a depth cut set. Make several passes a few mm apart and knock out the rest with a chisel.

Now we know that you have a circular saw then yes, that would be a better way to proceed, but because you cannot cut it out completely with a circular saw you'll still need a hand saw to finish the cuts

If you have a speed square you can use this to guide the saw making a series of parallel cuts starting at the outer end and working inwards to replicate the curts Mr Rusty has suggested doing on an SCMS (but at a fraction of the outlay). I must say I find this a tad tedious to do, but it's another approach

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back